Lightning impact on my Apex Classic

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lightning strike very near the house yesterday and the static discharge impacted my Apex Classic. I was able to recover everything except the ORP and PH probes are no longer accurate. I disabled / enabled and calibrated them, but ORP is stuck at 0 and PH is up close to 12. I had a similar incident several years ago that wiped out my apex classic altogether and I had to get a replacement unit (it was out of warranty).

My question - has anyone experienced this where ONLY THE PROBES need replacing? I ask because I can pick up a new Apex unit with all the juicy bells and whistles from folks getting out of the hobby but they'll already have the probes. I don't want to buy new probes only to find out it was the unit that is bad. I know I can buy just the new Apex, but I'd like to pick a gently used one up and those typically already have all the probes.

All fish & coral are good. Here's a crappy picture from a few minutes ago for effect :)
IMG_2295.jpeg

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's really no delicate circuitry inside the probe itself than would get damaged. the failure of the apex to read the probes is more than likely the apex itself.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back