Lightning on shallow reef tank

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have problem with choosing a lightning over shallow reef tank that im about to get. The dimensions of it will be 120cm x 60cm x 30 cm. At this moment i have radion xr15 g4 over my 50 liters tank, the problem here is nobody is selling radion xr 15 g4 at this moment so I can't get second one. Before writing this topic i have read that i shouldn't mix g4 with g5 or g6 because it won't blend equally and it will look bad.

I was thinking about t5 mix with radion so i saw one guy on youtube doing exactly this but the problem here is that he used it on cube tank. I guess by that, that there is no way to do that in my tank.

I would appreciate help with that because now i don't know what to do about the lightning either sell one that i have at this moment or what?

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine running different versions of the xr15s. In the configuration i think you'll be going in, the light blending will only occur in the middle. Overall each light will only be in charge of lighting a 60x60 square.

Personally, I run 3 orphek or3 120s on smart switches to provide lighting on my 4x2x1 foot frag tank instead of running point led lighting. There is way less shadowing for whatever coral you plan to put in it and its more than enough lighting for SPS.

OP
OP
O

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shadowing can really be a problem. That's why i was thinking about t5 lamp or 2 bulbs from sides but i still dont know about this.

For corals for now i have lps, was thinking about acro or monti from sps. The rock will be in the middle so it will be like 15 cm/ 20cm from sides for some space.

OP
OP
O

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, can i use one radion for a while or i cant use it my corals for now is 1 euphyllia, 2 zoas, gsp, lethercap

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, can i use one radion for a while or i cant use it my corals for now is 1 euphyllia, 2 zoas, gsp, lethercap
Yes you can, you don't need your lighting to be 100% covering your tank if your corals only occupy the lighted space.

For long term I'd do led light bars instead of t5s as there is more longevity than the bulbs. Also no fear of broken bulbs.

OP
OP
O

onlyafailure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can, you don't need your lighting to be 100% covering your tank if your corals only occupy the lighted space.

For long term I'd do led light bars instead of t5s as there is more longevity than the bulbs. Also no fear of broken bulbs.
You think 2 radions xr 15 will be enough for it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back