Lightning to golden nugget pairing?

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this even possible; I had a golden nugget kill off its original golden nugget buddy that I'm attempting to pair up with much smaller lightning maroon; they are locking faces.

I tried a variety of scenarios including each one have free roam for a period of time and then introducing the other a day later; they go at it pretty hard... Should I give up on the more aggressive golden nugget or lightning.... Its a super hard choice to pick one over the other...

I also hope the LFS will take one of the fishes back once their fins heal up...

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the male swim freely, put the female in container that you can hang over inside the tank. While the male is swimming around, the female will be starring and following the male. Leave the female incarcerate...lol for 2 -3 days. Then release the female and watch the female. If she show aggressive behavior repeat the process again.

OP
OP
J

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried releasing the larger golden nugget and he whooped my lightning clown; they both started locking mouths despite the lightning showing the submissive shaking.

Should I give up and try another clown to pair with either of the existing ones?

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strange the last pair I paired together, literally took a day. I already had the male a onyx picasso, I then purchase a larger female Cquest onyx from a LFS. The LFS told me to do the same technique I told for 2 weeks, released the female the same day.

Maroon are more aggressive clownfish in partnering. I would tried again separating them again male free and female in the hangover tank for a few more days.

Last result: One breeder also told me, another technique. Get small baby clownfish toss them in the tank. The female will therefore chase the small clownfish, no longer chasing the lightning. The Lighting doing the same chasing the baby clownfish. She start to notice that the lightning is helping her. And when is done she will be so tired and stop fighting with her awaiting night and shining armor..lol
Note: this technique is cruel, but if you want to paired them, it's up to you.
Tried releasing the larger golden nugget and he whooped my lightning clown; they both started locking mouths despite the lightning showing the submissive shaking.

Should I give up and try another clown to pair with either of the existing ones?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it takes several tries w/ different males before a female will accept, especially maroons.
I'd float container near female for a couple/few days and hopefully female gets used to it and accepts, but it can be done.

OP
OP
J

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2BC564CD-8919-4E60-AEBA-25FA7B8094A1.jpeg
Update: ended up getting another tiny peaceful lightning to pair up with the small lightning that was being submissive to the gold nugget... I’m going to see how they all play after tomorrow but so far the two have been observered as mind each other’s business for now and occasionally a chase here and there.

On another note I thought I killed my gold nugget when trying to trap him in a isolation floater; I accidentally banged himself unconscious but luckily I didn’t give up on him and placed him in front of my mp10 in the floating container, he popped right back to life and even accepted food right away...I plan on returning him to the store so they can sell him to another owner...

OP
OP
J

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5334B12C-B9ED-45C0-8324-B692DEE65112.jpeg
So I’ve got all three loose in the tank; everyone’s minding their own side of the tank for now; it appears the gold nugget and mini lightning are the most compatible.

I’ve seen them running into each other for a bunch; when I put them in the floater they both seemed to barely pick at each other I’m comparison to any of the other combinations.

Hopefully this works!

OP
OP
J

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strange the last pair I paired together, literally took a day. I already had the male a onyx picasso, I then purchase a larger female Cquest onyx from a LFS. The LFS told me to do the same technique I told for 2 weeks, released the female the same day.

Maroon are more aggressive clownfish in partnering. I would tried again separating them again male free and female in the hangover tank for a few more days.

Last result: One breeder also told me, another technique. Get small baby clownfish toss them in the tank. The female will therefore chase the small clownfish, no longer chasing the lightning. The Lighting doing the same chasing the baby clownfish. She start to notice that the lightning is helping her. And when is done she will be so tired and stop fighting with her awaiting night and shining armor..lol
Note: this technique is cruel, but if you want to paired them, it's up to you.

So I tried a bunch of combos... swapping fish randomly from in isolation to free range... and I learned your trick was the only thing that worked with aggressive maroons...

Here’s how it played out: I call it the “bonded by fear” tactic... I released all three fish; all the most aggressive of their batch...

One clearly already 1 cm larger than the rest.. the lightning maroons instantly picked on the golden maroon; they all tried to separate themselves from the pecking rotation.

Eventually I removed the weakest one before serious fin damage occurred and the two Lightning’s minded their business...

I floated the weakest in the floating Breeder. The other two would take turns pecking at the golden maroon behind the floater... that night they slept together close... I felt excited considering I lost a previous failed attempt that also almost worked but the fish was picked at too much and was caught by the mp10...

Removed all poweheads subsiquently besides the return.

And now 5 days of togetherness the fish are seriously tolerating each other... from what I believe I’m successful. I’m removing the lightning back to the LFS to have them sell it in a few days if there’s no bites. I couldn’t be happier; and now I know what works...

Bonded by fear!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back