OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were on, flashing all sorts of colors under water.... the fish had a underwater light show, they were dancing around them, they thought disco had come back in style.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, if you purchased them using a credit card they might be able to use purchase protection. Sometimes it will cover water damage for electronics. That way you are not completely in the hole for repair costs. You will have to check the card member benefits for the specific card you use. Good luck!

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, if you purchased them using a credit card they might be able to use purchase protection. Sometimes it will cover water damage for electronics. That way you are not completely in the hole for repair costs. You will have to check the card member benefits for the specific card you use. Good luck!
Thanks, ... I will check it out.
I did use a card.

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just talked with AI ... not to bad of news,
Turns out that max would be $80 for a rebuild...but it might be less than that, and, they only charge for parts, no labor.

Makes my stupid accident easier to swallow.

Thanks AI ... I will be glad to do more business with you.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same happened to me. Leave them off (do not test them) for at least 2 days. Take it apart to allow the parts to dry faster. I don't recall how long it took, but eventually mine dried and worked again just fine.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse with fresh water and then put them in a large air container of dry rice for a week or two.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am one for one in this area. Dropped a prime. Attempted to air dry and it was dead. Similar a year later with a hydra 26hd and I placed it is rice and silica packs from work, and its still alive.
Unfortunately you will get no help from manufacturer.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one for one in this area. Dropped a prime. Attempted to air dry and it was dead. Similar a year later with a hydra 26hd and I placed it is rice and silica packs from work, and its still alive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, I just talked with AI ... not to bad of news,
Turns out that max would be $80 for a rebuild...but it might be less than that, and, they only charge for parts, no labor.

Makes my stupid accident easier to swallow.

Thanks AI ... I will be glad to do more business with you.
NICE

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this... :(

Definitely don’t try to turn it on or dunk it in RO water.

Submerge the whole thing (both of them) in rice and let them sit for at least 4 days.

Im really hoping they will work again.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen with one of my lights. Maybe I got lucky, but, here's what I did...

I opened the light and allowed it to dry out. After it was completely dry, I used a fingernail brush and gave everything a thorough brushing to remove any salt.

Then I used rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to rinse it off. My thinking was that rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly and won't cause damage.

I put everything back together after a day and it worked fine.

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I talked with AI ... They will fix for the cost of the parts only, No labor charge. With a max charge of $80 for a total rebuild. Much better than having to buy a new one.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I talked with AI ... They will fix for the cost of the parts only, No labor charge. With a max charge of $80 for a total rebuild. Much better than having to buy a new one.
Did you happen to take a picture of the light show? Sounds kinda cool. AI's response was fantastic!

I will keep this thread in mind if I ever need to expand or resupply my lighing. Thanks for posting.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working on something on my hood one time, had my dad holding my Makita work light and he dipped the battery into the water. Brand new 5a battery, Makita was willing to replace it for free even though I told them what happened. Another time I was working on something and accidently pushed a Kessil up and off it's hook. Thank goodness the acrylic cover was on and did not fall in, it very easily could have. From then on the Kessils were zip tied to the hooks.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working on something on my hood one time, had my dad holding my Makita work light and he dipped the battery into the water. Brand new 5a battery, Makita was willing to replace it for free even though I told them what happened. Another time I was working on something and accidently pushed a Kessil up and off it's hook. Thank goodness the acrylic cover was on and did not fall in, it very easily could have. From then on the Kessils were zip tied to the hooks.
From what I learned from this tread that is Kessil has a flimsy bracket. :eek:

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I learned from this tread that is Kessil has a flimsy bracket. :eek:
Yeah the outside hooks are trash but the one i was using was the center ring. It's solid but I had them hanging from hooks so the tiniest bit of upword pressure and it popped right off. Now I have them screwed directly into C Channel aluminum.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the outside hooks are trash but the one i was using was the center ring. It's solid but I had them hanging from hooks so the tiniest bit of upword pressure and it popped right off. Now I have them screwed directly into C Channel aluminum.
I don’t have Kessils but was connected it for future builds. I am surprised this can happen to a more expensive model than mine.
the light I am using would never fall from the bracket in fact it is actually hard to take it off.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soaked a radion light once and after letting it fully dry got myself some contact cleaner spray and gave all of the components a good spray. This was the only time I ever managed to save something that came in contact with my water.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long and short of it is anything electronic dropped into saltwater while being powered will most likely randomly fry black ROM chips on the circuit board that run on various voltages controlled by resistors. ROM chips are super sensitive to overvoltage that occurs when the saltwater arcs the ROM chips

Zap > Fry > Dead

Drying it out in rice to absorb all the moisture....or..... cleaning the circuit board with rodi or 90% rubbing alcohol is futile bc most likely the ROM chip is already damaged beyond repair

These ROM chip have hard coded instructions in their memory to do certain things electronically.

Only takes 1 to fry to interrupt the circuit board 'system' and render the whole board useless.

Al will probably put in a new circuit board

cyber-2377718_640.jpg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back