Lights for a 55 gallon

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 3 of them. Never had an issue, they grow coral great, and they are budget friendly! Has 1 of them "actually blown up"?
I have three 300w ones running right now....... No issues whatsoever.

I am replacing them (but one light was DOA) just because I want “better” but the MarsAqua have been nothing but great.....

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look on eBay or Craigslist for your lights .i bought 2 165 watt viper spectras for a great price ($120 each new) with. 3 year warranty. Didn’t have all the bells and whistles though like my al hydra 26’s on my 80 gallon had but it outperformed my expectations in growing out my mixed tank with 45 different varieties of corals .
FYI I also bought my hydras for my 80 gallon off eBay new.
Total price for 2 hydras was about $500 a year ago . I just had to but the mounts separate but I thought that was a good deal.
Good luck. Just make sure you do your homework in what you plan on growing and lighting or you will be wasting you money when you find out the light you bought isn’t sufficient for what you want to grow .

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look on eBay or Craigslist for your lights .i bought 2 165 watt viper spectras for a great price ($120 each new) with. 3 year warranty. Didn’t have all the bells and whistles though like my al hydra 26’s on my 80 gallon had but it outperformed my expectations in growing out my mixed tank with 45 different varieties of corals .
FYI I also bought my hydras for my 80 gallon off eBay new.
Total price for 2 hydras was about $500 a year ago . I just had to but the mounts separate but I thought that was a good deal.
Good luck. Just make sure you do your homework in what you plan on growing and lighting or you will be wasting you money when you find out the light you bought isn’t sufficient for what you want to grow .
lol Im soo overwhelmed with all these lights! I fell in love with REEFLED 90 LED LIGHT FIXTURE! Do you know anything about those? Lol

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Im soo overwhelmed with all these lights! I fell in love with REEFLED 90 LED LIGHT FIXTURE! Do you know anything about those? Lol
Lol! I know it can be overwhelming but it is too much fun and addictive !
I don't know anyone using these lights but It’s a great looking light with the great attributes and power that would grow anything you wanted in your tank judged from I have read online . I think the spread is 24” by 24” / same as my hydras that I operate iwith my tank . You would have to buy 2 of these lights for your tank.
I think that would be a great choice Eve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! I know it can be overwhelming but it is too much fun and addictive !
I don't know anyone using these lights but It’s a great looking light with the great attributes and power that would grow anything you wanted in your tank judged from I have read online . I think the spread is 24” by 24” / same as my hydras that I operate iwith my tank . You would have to buy 2 of these lights for your tank.
I think that would be a great choice

okay lol so I think Im getting some lights I found on Ebay better! they seem to do everything I want? I typed viper spectras? And those came out so Im going to give them a try. Now I have a question about removing the two hoods my tank comes with! Can I use this as the cover? I HAVE to use one, but not sure what will be good that it won’t affect the light or maybe burn or melt? Lol im so extra, I know but just want to do things right.

121FE289-2695-426A-8101-BECBD3272373.jpeg

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, just diy ones usually have alightly larger holes so there isnt as much shading as when you use a window screen material
Ah makes sense, so it is better for me to do it. Im going to check it out if I get stuck ill ask lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the lights, maybe I missed it, but are you decided on LED? If so, you've got some great recommendations in here, but if you're looking to stay budget, I'd look seriously at T5 only (or supplement with a strip LED). The T5s would be more than enough for what you're wanting to do.

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! I have the same type of tank. Right now I just have a Current USA Orbit on half my tank. I am not seeing spectacular coral growth though. I have both SPS and LPS.
I too am trying to operate on budget friendly equipment until I really get experienced with the hobby.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dang lol Im just going to ask someone to do it for me, Im sure I will cut all my fingers off
For mesh screens, there a couple of solid manufacturers that can help. Octo Aquatics is one that does great work.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the lights, maybe I missed it, but are you decided on LED? If so, you've got some great recommendations in here, but if you're looking to stay budget, I'd look seriously at T5 only (or supplement with a strip LED). The T5s would be more than enough for what you're wanting to do.
So I have been like reading so much and I think I suck at this when it comes to understanding about lighting. I googled T5 and its showing me the same lights I have in my tank right now? , but they look LED to me? What Im looking for its the lights that can turn on by itself and do the sunset and sunrise and also have the blue light? This tank doesn’t have it. Im probably not making any sense right? Lol everyone its giving me so many good ideas.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a used T5 and throw some reef brites on it for moonlight and shimmer. LEDs tend to have a learning curve, among other issues like shadowing and hotspots. Would be nice to take as many variables out of the equation when getting started. Just my 2cents. BTW, running a 24inch Aquatic Life hybrid w Kessil A160 over a 40 cube myself. Very happy w everything, other than it’s mounting options.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! I have the same type of tank. Right now I just have a Current USA Orbit on half my tank. I am not seeing spectacular coral growth though. I have both SPS and LPS.
I too am trying to operate on budget friendly equipment until I really get experienced with the hobby.
I read a lot about Current USA orbit, good reviews, but it does seems like it’s not the best for corals. I don’t have corals, but I want to have everything ready for when I get them lol :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have been like reading so much and I think I suck at this when it comes to understanding about lighting. I googled T5 and its showing me the same lights I have in my tank right now? , but they look LED to me? What Im looking for its the lights that can turn on by itself and do the sunset and sunrise and also have the blue light? This tank doesn’t have it. Im probably not making any sense right? Lol everyone its giving me so many good ideas.
Ok. I'm tracking with you. If you're wanting the sunrise/sunset (ramp up/ramp down) features, then you'll need to go with LED's, and you'll need to be sure the ones your buying have that function. Most LED's now do have it, but you'll need to be sure that any of them that you buy have some way to set that up. For example, I know black boxes & Mars Aqua were mentioned, but to my knowledge, neither of those have that function.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back