Lights on or off during tank cycle?

It’s all personal preference but I keep them on
 
I've done both and didn't really notice a difference. I guess I would do off in the future to conserve electricity.
 
My nano is currently cycling, I have my lights all set up and programmed on my apex. I figured it was best just to keep to routine.
 
If you are planning on a reef tank, leave them off. You are trying to encourage bacteria growth on the rocks, not algae. There is a good video on BRSTV in the WWC/BRS method section. They let their tanks cycle for 3 months with the lights off. I know, that sounds like a long time, but patience is the best item you can invest in for this hobby.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new