Lights On or off??

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling tank about 2
Weeks since and I have added two clowns five hermit crabs and five nasdarius snail over the span of the 2 weeks. I’m wondering how long I should wait before turning on lights I read wait up to 4 months and it will help with the ugly stage. Does this also apply to the blue light as well?

EagleEric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling tank about 2
Weeks since and I have added two clowns five hermit crabs and five nasdarius snail over the span of the 2 weeks. I’m wondering how long I should wait before turning on lights I read wait up to 4 months and it will help with the ugly stage. Does this also apply to the blue light as well?
Depends on how soon you plan to add corals. Fish can get by with natural light.
You could also do a reduced time period and ramp up over time.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to wait as long as I can before adding coral. Trying not to have to bad of an ugly stage lol. So if I start slow with the blue light and ramp up over time I should be ok? Or just wait it out?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling with the lights off will create nitrifying bacteria on your rock/substrate. This seems a good thing, but when you turn on the light you will kill them (nitrifyfing bacteria are very photo sensitive) and could cause a new nitrite peak and all kind of new bacterial battles who is boss on the rock.
When nature was created, the light wasn't off. ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling with the lights off will create nitrifying bacteria on your rock/substrate. This seems a good thing, but when you turn on the light you will kill them (nitrifyfing bacteria are very photo sensitive) and could cause a new nitrite peak and all kind of new bacterial battles who is boss on the rock.
When nature was created, the light wasn't off. ;-)
So light on lol‍?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn the lights on, would you like to live in a dark box! Lol

It won’t affect any bacteria and your clowns will love you and you can enjoy the tank.

Just watch your nutrient levels especially phosphate (keep it less than 0.03) and you will avoid many issues.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It won’t affect any bacteria and your clowns will love you and you can enjoy the tank.

Just watch your nutrient levels especially phosphate (keep it less than 0.03) and you will avoid many issues.

Should I start with natural blue/white or all blue light? What about recommended running time 8-10 hrs a day ok?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn them on, blue, white, below is what I use (with some modifications, but not darkness) but just ‘let there be light’

As far as period just go for natural daylight period like in the ocean

466997E9-945F-4A78-87E0-84EF101C9028.jpeg

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank just over two years ago. I turned my lights on after more than a month because my hood (with lights mounted to top) wasn't done before that. I'd had fish in the whole time (quarantined prior in small tank before 150gal was ready). Put fish in DT after cycle was complete using Dr Tim's One and Only with his Ammonium. I had my skimmer going the whole time and fed the fish. Fed fish ample amounts because I wanted the fish-poop to contribute to my tank in preparation for eventual corals. My starting fish were a small Yellow Tang, a small Purple Tang, and 6 Green Chromis. Due to having Tangs, I fed some nori, too (only what they would eat in a day).

Before lights, my dry rock was mostly unchanged and white. After I turned my lights on, things changed dramatically. My rock turned green where the light shined and I got diatoms. I kept feeding my fish and running my skimmer. I started a small ball of chaeto to export more (always the plan for export). I never experienced dinos due to never letting my nutrients bottom out (my belief). I did get red cyano at some point, but used chemiclean and it went away. Diatoms went away after a week or so on their own (used up all available silicate). I never experienced much GHA, maybe due to me having Tangs.

The best advice I can give is don't let your Chaeto grow large and then die. Mine did (6 months or so later) and flooded my tank with Nitrate and Phosphate (when things die they release everything in them). After that, I discovered that Chaeto (and all macro-algae) require a lot of Iron (more than simple trace amounts). Since starting to dose Iron, I've not had any Chaeto die again.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes no sense.
With lots of nitrifying bacteria on your rock/substrate you might think you're fully cycled (testkit shows zero nitrite at one point), but as soon as you turn on the light you might kill many of them, leaving you with too few of them. Result; nitrites rise. You weren't really fully cycled yet.

Nature doesn't turn off the lights.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With lots of nitrifying bacteria on your rock/substrate you might think you're fully cycled (testkit shows zero nitrite at one point), but as soon as you turn on the light you might kill many of them, leaving you with too few of them. Result; nitrites rise. You weren't really fully cycled yet.

Nature doesn't turn off the lights.
I'd counter that with this: porous rock has 1,000+ times more surface area than non-porous rock. The lights can't shine on all parts of every rock: there is plenty of surface area on porous rock for light-sensitive bacteria to thrive in our reef tanks. I don't believe that light kills all of any kind of bacteria. We'd never be able to have lighted reef-tanks if it were true.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Lights were on from day 1 at 90% This is 12 months old with Radions

Make your own minds up if it was correct. Maybe darkness would have worked a little better....

122BE15B-C7B1-4B2B-BD29-7CC4994218AB.jpeg

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd counter that with this: porous rock has 1,000+ times more surface area than non-porous rock. The lights can't shine on all parts of every rock: there is plenty of surface area on porous rock for light-sensitive bacteria to thrive in our reef tanks. I don't believe that light kills all of any kind of bacteria. We'd never be able to have lighted reef-tanks if it were true.
Ofcourse you don't kill ALL nitrifying bacteria when you turn the lights on, but you will kill a significant amount. Possibly just enough to create a new nitrite peak.
The amount of nitrifying bacteria was formed by the amount of bio-(ammonia) load, not more, not less. If you suddenly kill let's say 30% of them by turning on the lights you will disturb the balance which could end in a new nitrite peak (which will solve itselves in time but nevertheless).

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are probably pros and cons for both on and off. If there was a "right way" to do it, we would not be here in 2021 debating it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back