Introducing my home 17k gallon reef

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Hedgedrew (Drew), my morning work just got interrupted! That is one massive "ocean" dwelling and very impressive is an understatement. Lookit you're the main cause I'm drooling all over my keyboard and eyes fixated on my widescreen monitor .... o_O ;Drool

Thanks for sharing and is there a "Much Dislike" button so I can get back to work .... ;Woot (just kidding and who am I kidding right?)

OP
OP
H

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Hedgedrew (Drew), my morning work just got interrupted! That is one massive "ocean" dwelling and very impressive is an understatement. Lookit you're the main cause I'm drooling all over my keyboard and eyes fixated on my widescreen monitor .... o_O ;Drool

Thanks for sharing and is there a "Much Dislike" button so I can get back to work .... ;Woot (just kidding and who am I kidding right?)
Thank you sea monkey !! Get back to work. Lol

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is truly an amazing tank!! I look at this thing can’t begin to imagine the filtration on it which is probably much more complex than the tank itself. This is an amazing piece of living art and from reading through all these posts you seem like a very humble person. To take time out of your busy lifestyle to answer each and every question that has been thrown at you speaks volumes. All I can say is thank you for sharing this!! Many questions I had, have been answered and I’m sure the ones that have not been asked will be soon.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is truly an amazing tank!! I look at this thing can’t begin to imagine the filtration on it which is probably much more complex than the tank itself. This is an amazing piece of living art and from reading through all these posts you seem like a very humble person. To take time out of your busy lifestyle to answer each and every question that has been thrown at you speaks volumes. All I can say is thank you for sharing this!! Many questions I had, have been answered and I’m sure the ones that have not been asked will be soon.
Hi Jason!
I agree with you 100%! I’m a graduate student right now and I opened R2R to take a break from writing and couldn’t stop reading this thread and Mr. Sandler was so nice to answer my silly questions and made me laugh! It was nice to see a thread that had so much detail and amazing pictures/videos. Definitely impressive and better than any car collection, IMO!

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just insanely awesome. So I have a question with a tank that large do you still need to do water changes ? How would something like that work?

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sir, You may have already mentioned and I missed it but what do you feed this tank, how much and how often? All the water tests are automated? Thank you.

OP
OP
H

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just insanely awesome. So I have a question with a tank that large do you still need to do water changes ? How would something like that work?
We can make 10 k ro a day and we have large storage vats that can handle that much so basically computer will do most of the work but principles same as you. We need to backwash sand filter every 2weeks and can easily loose 3k gallons doing it.

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hedgedrew this is incredible! Fell in love with diving on our honeymoon in Grenada and brought the first piece of the ocean to our home with my 140Gal. Started to plan a 900gal for our current home and glad it didn’t get built. Since it looks like a move is in the plans for new future and ideally a new house build. Wife’s wish list is a tank big enough to dive in so I will be certainly picking your brains for tips and experiences! My current tank is basically on auto-pilot (dare I say that) with all the controller and automations in play. Wondering how close we can get to that with a tank in the thousands of gallons.

OP
OP
H

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sir, You may have already mentioned and I missed it but what do you feed this tank, how much and how often? All the water tests are automated? Thank you.
We defrost frozen in huge amounts for the day and they soak in some vitamins. And we go up ladders and put the food on a scooper at end of a long swimming pool net. And plop it in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back