OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with Rick at Synergy Reef and they will be customizing their CL-27 sump for me to be compatible with the Reefmat 500. So the sump has been ordered and should be here in 3-4 weeks. Now we wait and start planning our plumbing/return pump situation!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG curveball over here…although I read my lease and it states fish are allowed with prior consent, the complex management notified me that it has to be given by corporate in writing and “they never give it.” Had I known this was the case, I would’ve gotten way ahead of this before dishing out the cash. Never had any issue at any of my previous complexes, and they were all similar to this one in terms of quality and class.

So now I’ve got a paid-for tank ready for delivery and a custom Synergy sump in production and I have no idea how this is going to play out. Will keep this thread updated. Hoping for a good outcome!

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG curveball over here…although I read my lease and it states fish are allowed with prior consent, the complex management notified me that it has to be given by corporate in writing and “they never give it.” Had I known this was the case, I would’ve gotten way ahead of this before dishing out the cash. Never had any issue in any of my previous complexes, and they were all similar to this one in terms of quality and class.

So now I’ve got a paid for tank ready for delivery and a custom Synergy sump in production and I have no idea how this is going to play out. Will keep this thread updated. Hoping for a good outcome!
Looks like you have two options.

1. Get good renters insurance and present that to the complex corporate office and hope they play along.

or, My personal favorite

2. Have it all drop shipped at my house. I'll pm you my address.

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saying its a small world is true, as I looked at this exact tank over July 4th weekend (Nemo’s Reef). Almost pulled the trigger but went with a smaller 38g to fit my space. The dims of this tank are simply awesome for aquascaping and I am envious you have it!

Hoping you are able to resolve things to keep the tank.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BIG curveball over here…although I read my lease and it states fish are allowed with prior consent, the complex management notified me that it has to be given by corporate in writing and “they never give it.” Had I known this was the case, I would’ve gotten way ahead of this before dishing out the cash. Never had any issue in any of my previous complexes, and they were all similar to this one in terms of quality and class.

So now I’ve got a paid for tank ready for delivery and a custom Synergy sump in production and I have no idea how this is going to play out. Will keep this thread updated. Hoping for a good outcome!
Hoping for the best for you!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have two options.

1. Get good renters insurance and present that to the complex corporate office and hope they play along.

or, My personal favorite

2. Have it all drop shipped at my house. I'll pm you my address.
I proposed whatever renters insurance policy they require plus whatever security deposit they want. I don’t see why that wouldn’t get them there, the building is beyond structurally sound to handle it, it’s a high rise.

Also, happy to drop ship for the small cost of the goods! (I actually would not be happy I would be very sad even if I recouped the money :face-with-tears-of-joy:)

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saying its a small world is true, as I looked at this exact tank over July 4th weekend (Nemo’s Reef). Almost pulled the trigger but went with a smaller 38g to fit my space. The dims of this tank are simply awesome for aquascaping and I am envious you have it!

Hoping you are able to resolve things to keep the tank.
It is a small world! What’s up man! Yeah I was actually planning on a smaller footprint myself, then I walked in and saw this and it was just too good to pass up. I love the dimensions as much as you do, they’re perfect to me. This tank is big enough to have fun with but small enough to not be a maintenance monster.

Thanks! Hoping it shakes out in my favor as well. Fingers crossed.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this little 20x20x16 acrylic cube from Glass Cages that I've had forever.
It's been a good tank. I'm thinking of giving it away to someone. I did so much learning with that tank.
I have a new tank so I'm going to give this tank to someone who needs it.

That should be a really fun tank to play with! Good luck with it!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this little 20x20x16 acrylic cube from Glass Cages that I've had forever.
It's been a good tank. I'm thinking of giving it away to someone. I did so much learning with that tank.
I have a new tank so I'm going to give this tank to someone who needs it.

That should be a really fun tank to play with! Good luck with it!
Thanks man! Much appreciated.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to share that after a couple of weeks of persistence…I’ve received written approval to have a tank in my place!! HUGE. My sump entered “Final Assembly” yesterday. As soon as it arrives I’m going to schedule delivery of the glass and stand. I’m having my LFS handle the plumbing and the build. Really excited to start getting everything up and running soon here.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to share that after a couple of weeks of persistence…I’ve received written approval to have a tank in my place!! HUGE. My sump entered “Final Assembly” yesterday. As soon as it arrives I’m going to schedule delivery of the glass and stand. I’m having my LFS handle the plumbing and the build. Really excited to start getting everything up and running soon here.
This is awesome!!!! Good work. Now I get to follow along. If I had to put money on a tanks success before it was even assembled. It would be on this tank.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome!!!! Good work. Now I get to follow along. If I had to put money on a tanks success before it was even assembled. It would be on this tank.
Thanks, TVC! Really kind of you to say. Hoping I prove you correct! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some images of the custom sump Synergy built for me (which is scheduled to be delivered to my LFS on Tuesday!):

IMG_9603.jpeg

IMG_9605.jpeg
IMG_9608.jpeg
IMG_9609.jpeg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This system is most similar to what I'm doing. Same capacity, but mine is acrylic. 36 long by 24 inches wide by 12 inches high. The math says 41 gallons. My sump is the same dimensions as your tank. It will be great to watch this and share/compare info. I love systems of this size.

Watching this one!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This system is most similar to what I'm doing. Same capacity, but mine is acrylic. 36 long by 24 inches wide by 12 inches high. The math says 41 gallons. My sump is the same dimensions as your tank. It will be great to watch this and share/compare info. I love systems of this size.

Watching this one!
Just checked out your build thread. Love the look of your tank! I really would’ve liked an external overflow, but I was happy to settle with the Synergy Shadow. I also love these footprints. Large enough to do some cool stuff, but small enough to get in and work on easily, makes maintenance a breeze and not too expensive to upkeep, 10% water changes are super easy. Will be following along with yours as well! Good luck!

Last edited:

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the glass thickness. 3/8" is max for MP10 and I had trouble with them wanting to decouple even at that thickness. Nero 5 is a good alternative if you don't want to spend MP40 money.
This is the problem I have. My acrylic is 3/4" inch, but my tank is shallow and only 3x2 feet.
I'm thinking the MP-40 might be too much. And there aren't really any in between options.
I have an mp10 sitting here, but it wont work with the 3/4" which sucks because the mp-10 is perfect for my tank size.

Most of the other pumps have either lame control options or won't work.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your build thread. Love the look of your tank! I really would’ve liked an external overflow, but I was happy to settle with the Synergy Shadow. I also love these footprints. Large enough to do some cool stuff, but small enough to get in and work on easily, makes maintenance a breeze and not too expensive to upkeep, 10% water changes are super easy. Will be following along with yours as well! Good luck!
Your tank is fine man. The overflow is still small and it wont cause any problems. Might just be a little harder to clean but that's it.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the problem I have. My acrylic is 3/4" inch, but my tank is shallow and only 3x2 feet.
I'm thinking the MP-40 might be too much. And there aren't really any in between options.
I have an mp10 sitting here, but it wont work with the 3/4" which sucks because the mp-10 is perfect for my tank size.

Most of the other pumps have either lame control options or won't work.
Yeah it’s a tough decision to make. I went with 2 MP40s and just plan to keep the power low, which isn’t bad because it’s less stress on them and I always have more if I need it. The other option would be to go with Nero 3 or 5s with the upgraded aftermarket magnet you can find a few places online. I also opted for the MP40s, however, for the Ecotech battery backup and having a single app control my lights and powerheads.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back