Matt's dream 90 gallon glass cages build

mattnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Little back story: I have been in this hobby for 15 years. My tanks have always been on the smaller side, I have always prefered the look of smaller tanks stuffed with coral. I believe your aquarium should match your lifestyle. As such my last tank was a fish only tank. I was busy working 6-7 days a week starting a family and building my business. That tank I had made by the "old" glass cages. Anyone thats been around a long time knows that glass cages used to be the place to go for a custom tank for 1/3 the cost of a "premium" custom tank. I loved that tank. was the silicone perfect? nope. But I got what I paid for and it was beautiful. Fast forward to today and glass cages is under new ownership and they have increased their quality control BIG TIME!! I ordered a custom 3x2x2 90 gallon aquarium and "furniture grade" stand. It did take longer to build then advertised but I did not care as I was taking my time building the ultimate filtration system in my basement. I always run a remote sump if possible because it keeps the sound, smell and mess out of my living space. When my tank arrived I was blown away! The quality is top notch and the stand is gorgeous! The stand is solid and made with maple, the paint finish is perfect. I have always loved sand beds but hate viewing them from the side as they always look dirty and to clean them you risk grabbing sand and scratching the tank. Glass cages solved that with a concealed sand bed built into the stand! I really couldnt be happier with the aquarium. With all that being said I am currently cycling this beauty with Tim's one and only... Lighting will be AI blades as my stocking plan will be mostly softies/lps and maybe some monties down the road.
IMG_1216.jpeg
IMG_1524.jpeg
IMG_1546.jpeg
IMG_2096.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2277.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg
IMG_2335.jpeg
IMG_1425.jpeg
IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1184.jpeg IMG_1523.jpeg IMG_9902.jpeg IMG_2336.jpeg

kermitreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. This is exactly the kind of setup and tank style I'm planning.

Will probably make my Glass Cages order soon.
Still working out the details.
-I've read a lot of good things about Joe and the improved quality and customer service.

The last time I kept a saltwater aquarium was in 1998 so I have a lot of catching up to do. Although, I will say that back in those days we had much simpler setups that worked just fine.

Following along.

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where oh where did you get the RO/DI and Saltwater decals for your mixing tanks? I sooooo want them.

OP
OP
M

mattnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle almost complete! Ordering a few fish and inverts from Dr. Reef soon as I don’t want to deal with disease. Anything coming from a LFS or other retailer will go through a 72 day quarantine in the basement. I’ve dealt with Ich in the past and never want to see it again. Really enjoying the spectrum from the AI blade! Also digging the lunar feature. I finally figured it out, if anyone is wondering (like I was) you set whatever channel you want to run all night to a minimum of 6% and enable the lunar feature. The software will take over and dim the light accordingly. I LOVE watching the tank at night.
IMG_2428.jpeg
IMG_2335.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 26

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the AI blade? Is that going to be your only lighting? Are those things that slim? It's boggling my mind.

You are covering your heat vent there. Is that going to just blast cold and hot air into the tank or make a vacuumed noise out the side there? If I barely cover mine it sounds like a hair dryer. Is it going to be an issue or is it no different that putting a couch over the top?

I wish I had a basement. My life would be so much easier. dang 120 year old home.

OP
OP
M

mattnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the AI blade? Is that going to be your only lighting? Are those things that slim? It's boggling my mind.

You are covering your heat vent there. Is that going to just blast cold and hot air into the tank or make a vacuumed noise out the side there? If I barely cover mine it sounds like a hair dryer. Is it going to be an issue or is it no different that putting a couch over the top?

I wish I had a basement. My life would be so much easier. dang 120 year old home.
Hey Devisissy!

So far I just have one AI blade and yes it is that slim that it is barely noticeable! I just have one for now, but I’m definitely going to get one more soon and possibly a third down the road. One is plenty for softies and fish only. It’s very bright! I plan on doing some par mapping soon with the photone app and a waterproof case.

I am in talks with glass cages for a low profile canopy to house the lights.. Mostly because I have small kids and don’t trust them to not throw something in the tank lol.

It is actually just a return and there are plenty more in this room so it does not make any noise or effect anything. It’s also where I ran my flex PVC so that I didn’t have to drill my hardwood floors. IMG_2479.jpeg

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome fish room, I have mine plumbed into the basement as well.
makes maintinace so much easier, especially for old folks like me,lol
no getting on my knees and sticking my head under a cabinet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back