OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build is awesome. The only thing I would change is to not go with a canopy.
Originally that was the route I was going but I wanted to go w/the LED T5 hybrid. I didn't want to drop a grand+ on lights. I had the T5 retro kits already so all I had to do was get the LEDs.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to think ahead with this build. I'm wondering if I should put some kind of foam material on the top of the stand to set the tank on? On my last 90 gallon Marineland tank I used the pink foam pad. Anyone have any ideas on what to use? I came across a build thread a couple days ago and the original poster put a link for a site that sold sheet of foam material, now I can't find it.

You can find foam mat at most of the online vendors:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-leveling-adhesive-rubber-mat-innovative-marine.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/search?Query=mat

Or some people use rigid foam insulation from a hardware store (can get in 1" & 2" thickness):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foamular...uare-Edge-Insulating-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

SmokinDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how almost everyone i see building stands and DIY tanks have AWESOME trim skills. One of these days i'll get around to posting my set up that i built.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lilchris_357 Yeah, I have already started a thread looking for thoughts/opinion on my equipment list and then will start another once I've begun the build.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how almost everyone i see building stands and DIY tanks have AWESOME trim skills. One of these days i'll get around to posting my set up that i built.
Yes please do, would love to see your set up. I bet it's an awesome build and setup as well.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past couple days I have been working on the stand and I finally have it stained. Please let me know what you think. Staining can be a bit of a task, especially if you are looking for perfection. I stained and sand and stained again. It came out okay, I think I 'm happy with it. IMAG0539.jpg IMAG0541.jpg IMAG0543.jpg IMAG0544.jpg

Tomorrow I will continue working on stand and canopy. I think I'm going to start wiring the lights in the canopy as well as starting the plumbing. My goal is to have this thing wet by Thursday or Friday.

I was thinking about foam matting to sit the tank on. Our Local Homepot only carries the 2X2 foamular board at $6 a piece, I did find this foam board. Have anyone used this type to sit their tanks on? By the way did I mention, it' $7
IMAG0537.jpg

Has anyone used the "As Seen on T.V" Flex seal? If so, can you please post a bit of a review. Its a rubber spray that seals and is flexible. Sorry for the terrible pic. I didn't think the flash was on.
IMAG0538.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to take the wheels off? I don't know if I would feel safe with them on
I love the color of the stand mine looks to be the same
I too was wondering about the as seen on tv I mean in the commercials they cut a hole out of the boat and it floated so u should be good I would think

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the stand is furniture dollies so I can move it pretty easily. If not it would be a bear to move.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to say, the stand on the dollies to move while being prepped. I will take it off the dollies when it's in the house. Not permanently on wheels.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I worked on replacing the old standard wall outlet with a GCFI outlet. Boy what a bear it is to wire when the outlet is on a switch. Had to quickly learn the wires, where they are from and where they are going as well as which was hot or not. No fires no shocks, win, win for me.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0552.jpg

As you can see this is a 15 app circuit. I have and electrician coming out today to give me estimate for a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I'm wondering if I really need it? What are your thoughts on having a dedicated 20 app circuit installed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next I started my plumbing adventure with a mock up of my manifold.
IMAG0550.jpg
Right now I have 3 valves, these will run my CaRx, zeovit reactor and an extra one for possibly water changes or any other equipment I decide to go with. The end I might put another valve not sure. Suggestions are welcome. My plumbing is going to be an orange and gray color scheme. Fingers crossed.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back