OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally added water to do a leak test. Unfortunately I had a few leaks and I think I'm going to need to redo the manifold and possibly the drain. Bummer
IMAG0562.jpg

IMAG0562.jpg

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, its been a while since I last updated this thread. This build has been a bit of a headache. I must say, there was a hiccup every step of the way. A quick refresher, During the leak test, there were a few leaks that warrent me in redoing 90% of the plumbing. I was not a happy camper when I had to go back to ACE hardware and spend another $75 on plumbing and having to throw out $75 in plumbing that was no longer any good. After redoing the plumbing, I had no leaks this time. Once the plumbing was complete, I added the rocks to the tank and started to fill with RO/DI water. Once I had a quarter of the tank filled, I added the sand. It was tough due the water being cloudy. I honestly don't know why I added the sand at that time and not before the water. After an hour or so the tank was full, salt was added the pump was running and I figured out the Herbie overflow system, my first disaster happened. I was trying to get manifold in the J brackets for support. I had to lift up on the manifold, well the manifold is connected to the return line, and I didn't have a clamp on the hose that was connected to the return pump. YES!!!! the pump slipped out and water went everywhere. I was trying to unplug the pump, but I felt a bit of a shock so yelled at my wife to come and turn it off while kept my hand over the pump. Needless to say, she was not happy...oops! sorry babe...Once I got the trusty wet/dry vac out and about 15 towels (again wife not happy), I think I had the mess cleaned up. Next day I went and purchased a hose clamp. Issue #1 solved. Not 100% though, I think I'm going to need to redo the return. It has a check valve inline but water still syphon into the sump when the pump is shut off. I know its going to drain with the herbie, but the return line is syphoning and not sure how. Issue#2 I ran into. The Herbie overflow, I can't seem to get it to stay consistant at one level. When i first installed the emergency pipe, I followed the recommended height of .5" below the overflow teeth and the drain should be 6" below that (gmacreef.com) The water would drain into the overflow and the trickling sound was pretty noticeable. Once I adjusted the gate valve, it would quiet down but after 5 mins the water level would drop again and start making the trickling sound. Not sure how to keep the water level consistant right below the emergency drain, any thoughs or advise would be greatly appreciated. Issue#2 still a problem. Issue #3 ATO, I have a Tunze Osmolator for the top off. Awesome!!!! The issue is, when ever I have to turn the return pump off the Osmolator's alarm goes off. I think I know how to solve this issue but would like to run it by you all. I can connect it to my Apex and program it to turn off when feed mode or maintenance mode is on. Any thoughts on that? Issue #3 is a tabled item for now. I know this post is getting loooonnnnggg so I will end it here. I have another issue that I would like to share but I will put in another post . I will add pics also. Stay tuned and please comment. Give your thoughts, inputs, advice.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a siphon break drilled into your return? Can you position the return just below the surface? Either would help minimize back draining.

~Bruce

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a siphon break drilled into your return? Can you position the return just below the surface? Either would help minimize back draining.

~Bruce
That's what I did. I think I got it fixed. I didn't think it through, I drilled the holes on top of the elbow fitting now I have a little fountain of water squirting out. Its only when the level in the overflow drops. Not too bad but i'm going to redo it.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm checking my parameters. As I was checking my Alk, I decided to see what the alk levels of a batch of fresh mixed sw would be. I had a batch of reef crystals mixed so I decided to test. It was at 12 dkh. I think that is what they note their salt levels are at. That got me thinking, if we strive to keep our Alk at a certain level, ie. 7.0 - 7.5 on ULN systems and 9-10 dkh on regular systems, how do we do water changes without spiking the Alk levels when we add NSW? Small water changes I can see working but that will still raise levels. Any thoughts on this?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Alk should drop as the creatures in your tank consume some of it. It tends to even out over time, and indeed often requires supplementation.

As for the precise chemical mechanisms for that . . . <shrug>

~Bruce

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update, I have been extremely busy with "Life" and trying to get this tank going. Having 3 boys, 5 total kids, it's hard to focus your attention on your hobby. Continuing on with the issues from the last post. Issue #4, I was trying to plan ahead and have a couple fish through QT and ready to be put in the tank when it was time so I brought 2 wrasses (this was back in Feb). I purchased a Cirrhilabrus solorensis (clown fairy ) wrasse and an Cirrhilabrus exquisitus (exquisite). I started the Tank transfer method, and they made it to the 3rd transfer and the Solorensis passed. Not sure what went wrong. The exquisite did great, and made it through QT. Fast forward 2 weeks, I was getting him prepped to put in the display tank and I noticed a white spot on him...uggh... It wasn't ick, I think it was flukes so on the recommendation of humblefish I treated with Prazipro. (there is a thread in the fish disease forum). Fast forward another 2 weeks, he was ready for transfer. I acclimated him with water changes using dt water. Saturday morning, lights off, temp and SG the same (QT and display) in goes the exquisite. He dashed to the bottom into the rocks. I left him alone for a few hours untils light cam on. He stayed in the rocks all day. The next day I went to see if he had calmed down, looked in the rocks and he was laying on his side. Uggh. I moved the rocks and he swam out and started floating belly up...uggh...I put him back in the QT tank and about 2 hours later he died. I told my wife she would have to flush him that I couldn't do it. It was tough puting all that effort into something to see it die. I tested the water params, nothing, no ammonia or nitrites. Took a sample to LFS, they ran tests, nothing. Stress maybe? Not sure why he died. That was issue #4.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressing on with this build, I did make a little progress with the light canopy. I installed mounting hooks for the hanging kit and I made the cables. I did get to finish staining the canopy. I have been a little nervous trying to hang the lights from the ceiling. I am going to be hanging them on the joists in the attic for support. I have to make this perfect so my wife doesn't kill me for drilling holes in her ceiling. SO the measure twice and cut once rule is in full effect. My buddy that built the stand is making a support that will cross over the joist in the attic. That's what's going to hold the canopy up. I will post pics of it soon. More to come. Oh yeah I did buy some new additions. I picked up some sweet frags from the Fraghouse Live Sale. They are awesome, I will post those pics. Along with the frags, I picked up 2 sweet clowns. They are in Qt now, fingers crossed.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tank with the lights hung. I had to redo the aquascape, did not like it so I picked up 25Lbs of rock from a buddy and redid the aquascape. I think it looks 100 times better than I will post pics tonight as i used the actual camera and not a phone to take them, hopefully they come out better. DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0025.JPG

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out how to get clearer pictures. I thought if I pulled out the Nikon I would get some better pics....... Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. On another note, I have 3 fish in QT right now. They will graduate from QT this weekend. I have an exquisite wrasse and 2 clowns. One is a mocha and the other is misbar ocellerius. After these additions to the display i'm going to continue stocking with My LFS just got in 2 pyramid butterfly and they are holding them for me. I hope they are good size. They have a pair of flame wrasse as well.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I did my last tank transfer and prazipro treatment for the fish I have in QT. This morning they are all doing well so hopefully in a week or so (not sure how long) I am going to put them in the tank. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I used water from my display tank so I can start acclimating them. One thing to Tank Transfer Method, that i have learned, is to be prepared before you start the transfer. You should have your water ready to go way in advance (SG & temp matches water in QT), equipment should be sterile and dry. I think being prepared is key to a successful transfer.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the fish. I did have a loss, the exquisite wrasse, he died before I could put him in the tank. He stopped eating during the transfers. He did have stringy white poop so I started treating the QT with Metroplex after the transfers and after 2 treatments he died. This is the 4th wrasse I have attempted to get through QT and they have all died, I didn't know how sensitive they are. The clowns are in the display tank doing great. They are trying to get used to the high flow that I have in there due to the SPS corals. I did purchase 2 new additions, a Pyramid Butterfly and a Vlamingi tang. They are both awesome, the butterfly is huge. I have added a few corals as well. I think I have a total of 10 SPS frags. I will post a picture tonight.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good-looking aquascape! Sorry about the loss of the exquisite. Would love to see pics of the vlamingi and the pyramid butterfly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back