Limewater vs two part

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been thinking is two part much safer when it comes to overdosing? Ph wont get high with two part and i exspext any deaths are ph related with limewater correct?
I haven´t read this whole thread but I would say this is true. Several people have killed their whole tank with Kalkwasser/limewater including me.
I also had a severe overdose of a three-part-additive which layed a thin calciumcarbonate powder film over the complete tank decoration and it didn´t do anything to the corals and other tank inhabitants. After a few days the calciumcarbonate had disappeared and the tank was like before the overdosage.

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy.

I use a 5 gal bucket with Apex DOS.

The mix is 5 teaspoons of Redsea lime into 5 gal and I keep it moving with a small cheapo pump. The Apex is set to drip at the rate of 1500 mil a day.
Hardly ever have to add water via the ato

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read the article. There seem to be two objections.

1. There may be some heavy metal.

2. Some of the solids may come in contact with particles of undesolved lime.

What else should I be considering ?
CO2 getting mixed in causing more precipitation of CaCO3 weakening the limewater.

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be getting high alkalinity from kalc. Ca has gone up, Alk is up to 11 dKH while Ph struggles to stay at 8. Thoughts.
I had stepped up kalc to help with Ph

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be getting high alkalinity from kalc. Ca has gone up, Alk is up to 11 dKH while Ph struggles to stay at 8. Thoughts.
I had stepped up kalc to help with Ph

Use less. :)

Simple as that. Always deliver an amount sufficient to maintain alkalinity (or less, if you maintain it in other ways). Calcium will follow along just fine. There's no more you can do with limewater in relation to pH than add enough to maintain alkalinity.

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use less. :)

Simple as that. Always deliver an amount sufficient to maintain alkalinity (or less, if you maintain it in other ways). Calcium will follow along just fine. There's no more you can do with limewater in relation to pH than add enough to maintain alkalinity.

Thank you ! Very much !

Can I use a marine buffer like. SeaChem's 8.3 to nudge Ph ?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ! Very much !

You could but it' risky. To get 8.3 with buffer might make your alkalinity way too high, killing things. The reason ph is low is because of co2 in your house. Co2 is less outside, so opening a window will let some co2 out and your tanks ph will rise naturlly.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ! Very much !

Never chase pH, especially by dosing carbonate alkalinity (buffer). Alkalinity levels and stability are way more important than pH, and any pH boosting effect from a buffer or carbonate solution would be temporary anyway.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back