Limewater vs two part

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had another limewater overdose due to my fault moving the sensor..

So ive been thinking is two part much safer when it comes to overdosing? Ph wont get high with two part and i exspext any deaths are ph related with limewater correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had another limewater overdose due to my fault moving the sensor..

So ive been thinking is two part much safer when it comes to overdosing? Ph wont get high with two part and i exspext any deaths are ph related with limewater correct?

Did you lose anything from the overdose?

Both can be a problem if dosed too much.

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on limewater ever since it messed up my ATO sensor and my pump was running half dry when I came home from work. I then decided to go with 2 part and never looked back.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on limewater ever since it messed up my ATO sensor and my pump was running half dry when I came home from work. I then decided to go with 2 part and never looked back.

Or separate out the limewater dosing from the ATO. I did that and never looked back. But 2 part works too.

Also, using a peristaltic pump you wouldn't have to worry about running dry.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think every single person is doing Kalk wrong!!!!

Why not add Kalk just like every other additive. Calculate the amount needed in a 24 hour period and dose that much exactly, based on evaporation NOT ALK/Cal consumption.

My Kalk system is simple:

Container: 32g Brute
Pump: BRS 50ml/min ATO pump/doser
Timer/Control: APEX

My pump comes on 4 min every 1/2 hour, this amount matches my evaporation rate. That rate and dose has not changed in the 1+ year I have been doing it.

Never had an over dose. Never spiked pH, never flooded the sump. Only issues that you hVe to deal with is refilling the container. If everyone did Kalk like this everyone would be doing Kalk. There is no reason not too. Include it with any system to help stabilize pH and ALK. Maintains Cal. Will NOT increase salinity. Will not cause an imbalance of ions. Is also your ATO.

If your system is small find a slower pump for better fine tuning.

Do Not Use Switches for control, ONLY alerts!

You already should have an idea of the evaporation rate, use that as a starting point. Adjust the timing as needed. Once set the evaporation rate may change a little with the seasons but no enough to cause danger, just adjust.

A pump that can be calibrated is great for tuning.

Must not allow a siphon!

Must be consistent, so regular pumps are out unless you can assure that it will add exactly the same amount every time. Aqualifters will not work for this setup, they are never consistent enough.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evap rates vary but Limewater ATO's have been used very successfully for many decades.

My evap rate is lower right now transitioning between winter and summer.

My ATO is kicking on about once a day right now. In the winter it's a lot more especially when it snows. When my AC kicks on more in the summer the evap increases as well.

My Limewater is on for 1 second every minute 24/7/365 using a spectrapure stand alone 250ml/m pump. But I do like to have some safety measures in place like pH.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:59/000:01/000:00 Then ON
If Output vPH_High_C7 = ON Then OFF
If Output vSumpHigh_A7 = ON Then OFF
If FeedD 120 Then OFF

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evap rates vary but Limewater ATO's have been used very successfully for many decades.

My evap rate is lower right now transitioning between winter and summer.

My ATO is kicking on about once a day right now. In the winter it's a lot more especially when it snows. When my AC kicks on more in the summer the evap increases as well.

My Limewater is on for 1 second every minute 24/7/365 using a spectrapure stand alone 250ml/m pump. But I do like to have some safety measures in place like pH.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:59/000:01/000:00 Then ON
If Output vPH_High_C7 = ON Then OFF
If Output vSumpHigh_A7 = ON Then OFF
If FeedD 120 Then OFF

Naturally I have my APEX programmed safe guards also, but not required for this to work.
pH and Conductively/Salinity will **** off my Kalk. Also have a safety switch programmed.

What is the difference in your evaporation rate season to season?

Most modern homes with HVAC systems will still have a pretty consistent evaporation rate. Evaporation rate is determined by the surface area of your system. Temp, humidity, things like that do have an effect but it's not that much.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you lose anything from the overdose?

Both can be a problem if dosed too much.

Im not sure yet, probably not but ive read a few people have. I added 10ml of vinegar just to be safe. (20gallon tank)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of your evaporation rate is really so screwy that it's impossible to nail down a consistent method week to week than only keep a container that hold a week worth of Kalk. However it doesn't change so drastically to cause problems and if it does after a month, make a slight change, reduce/increase by a .5 minute instead of a full minute. It's not hard to pin it down.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or separate out the limewater dosing from the ATO. I did that and never looked back. But 2 part works too.

Also, using a peristaltic pump you wouldn't have to worry about running dry.

I use an avast marine peristatic ato. I recently got a ghl profilux doser i may try with limewater so my ato is just water.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no I do not have a lid on the tank or sump. So, I would say IME the relative humidity has a big impact on my tank. I do have fans blowing over my water as well. In my display when lights are on year round.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of your evaporation rate is really so screwy that it's impossible to nail down a consistent method week to week than only keep a container that hold a week worth of Kalk. However it doesn't change so drastically to cause problems and if it does after a month, make a slight change, reduce/increase by a .5 minute instead of a full minute. It's not hard to pin it down.
I hold about 2 weeks worth of limewater. But I do dose consistently.

1 second every minute 24/7/365

I suggest limewater dosing separate from ATO at some level under the evap rate. I would monitor alk and Ca still as well to some degree. I go a while between testing if I'm not already testing other things...

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not when the hvac doesn't turn on much in the fall or spring. When it warms up and the AC kicks on more the evap goes up. But winter with it dryer out and the furnace going drives up evap more. Snowing days even more.

Even with all that the difference is predicable and negligible.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not when the hvac doesn't turn on much in the fall or spring. When it warms up and the AC kicks on more the evap goes up. But winter with it dryer out and the furnace going drives up evap more. Snowing days even more.

Do you know exactly the difference in your evaporation rate?

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I may try dosing 1 ml of limewater a few times a day via my ghl profilux doser and let my ato be water only. Too many times ive adjusted its sensor now and had it put too much at once.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hold about 2 weeks worth of limewater. But I do dose consistently.

1 second every minute 24/7/365

I suggest limewater dosing separate from ATO at some level under the evap rate. I would monitor alk and Ca still as well to some degree. I go a while between testing if I'm not already testing other things...

Anyone with a reef tank that doesn't monitor ALK and Cal regularly should. not have a reef tank, its cruel.

Lime water is very dilute, however if your ALK/Cal is rising it should go with out saying that you reduce the concentration. Everyone whom is dosing anything should be testing it and adjusting. In my case I would just adjust how much lime I add to the water., but now I use full saturation only.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual volume amount? No. How often ot kicks on? I can track that.

I've seen it kick on once or twice a day and all the way up to 20plus times a day.

Could be still adding the same amount.

Provide evidence that evaporation rate change over a year is more than 20%, I will take your argument seriously. In order for that kind of difference there has to be some extreme changes. It's just physics.

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an avast marine peristatic ato. I recently got a ghl profilux doser i may try with limewater so my ato is just water.
Since you have that doser, I would forget about limewater and start dosing 2 part. Don't worry too much about ph. Plus your tank is small so you won't have to dose alot. One gallon of 2 part should last you at least a month if not more depending if you have alot SPS. Though buying kalk is way cheaper, IMO 2 part is just easier to use. I'd recommend ESV Bionic 2 part, great product.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back