Limitations?

Slothnesmonster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm new here. I've been reading a bit and easing into starting a reef tank . I opted for a 37 gallon cube and a kessil a360we to get things started with. If it goes well I'll be upgrading stuff. The tank is currently cycling now so I have some time to truly decide where I want to go with it. So, with that being said, what do you guys recommend I start with coral wise, and given the light and tank size what should I absolutely stray away from? I've been keeping fish for quite some time and have done saltwater before, so I'm not entirely new to the hobby, just newish to the whole reef end of things . Thanks for any help and advice.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Erik and firstly welcome to R2R it’s great to have you with us

As far as easy corals it really depends on what you like

I love green star polyp, it provides movement but it also spreads

I would avoid Xenia as although very beautiful it’s like a weed and goes everywhere, but some like it.

If you search easy beginner corals there are all sorts of options available

Just also remember corals need very good water parameters and are not as forgiving as fish and you might find this useful:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

A493C50A-4101-44BB-9CB3-2FDBDD808C82.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard.
Coral selection depends on what you like and what your system will support. And older established tank is more forgiving so go slow and I think you’ll do fine.
Welcome to Reef2Reef .

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

I have a bunch of stuff I usually give away to local new reefers... I have some softies, leathers and some fuzzy green mushrooms that are pretty hard to kill... and look nice in a new tank....particularly as it ages. They are also cheap, fast growers and can be tossed when the tank gets more established or pruned back as needed. The key is to let your tank mature over a period of months.... and not rushing.... let the cycle take its course... go slowly on introducing fish and coral.... resist the urge to go out and get expensive corals too soon. I know the urge is strong to get stuff in your tank. I am also guilty of going too fast in the past. Trust me that patience is a big part of this hobby...and not having much... like me.... ;)... can cost you $$$$'s.

OP
OP
S

Slothnesmonster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely taking my time with this . Not really how I like to go about things for sure, but I do understand it's for the greater good and success so my newly set up tank and nice new light are just sitting there in the dark for now but it's ok, I have discus tank in the same room to keep my attention, and it gives me time to figure out better what I'm doing by the time I do start adding things .

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Start with a fish or two after the cycle. When that stabilizes, you could always start coral with a Kenya tree. They are very inexpensive. It will spread but they can be ripped off of rock if they spread too much.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 41.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.0%
Back