Linckia, Fromia, and All Other Amazing Starfish Keeper Club!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree Would it be possible for a small group of members who keep "higher-difficulty" level starfish to form a small group/club as we're all very enthusiastic and passionate about our Echinoderm friends? We actually all happened to come together on a thread earlier to share pictures, husbandry techniques, and spend time discussing these awesome creatures! We'd really appreciate it if you could arrange this since there are so few people out there who have been successful with these species!
Thank you!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to try again at keeping a fromia now that my tank is mature (my tiled starfish was beautiful). But I want to make sure I do it right before I try again!
Do some research not just about how to keep them in aquariums but try to understand as much as you can about the whole animal...that'll help a ton!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still need to start this group!! Starfish are some amazingly unique and complex creatures and it would be cool to see pictures of everyone's star!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you considering long term success? And how many people have achieved this success?

Can't help with a group, but sharing your methods to success would be helpful to alot of people.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you considering long term success? And how many people have achieved this success?

Can't help with a group, but sharing your methods to success would be helpful to alot of people.
I haven't had what I would consider long term success yet but the others tagged have... personally I'vee been doing research day and night to learn my starfish inside and out to give this guy the best shot at a long life as I possibly can! The reason I want to start a club in the first place is to celebrate something you're truly passionate about with others who share the same enthusiasm...I can certainly tell you plenty I've learned about the biology of Fromias and technically could give you some advice I think is pretty solid (through my studies I've could probably give you some decent guidelines to follow that would be better than most people's) but before I've had him long term I wouldn't feel right about leading you in a certain direction.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JCM now that I've been completely honest with you if you still want to ask anything go ahead! If it's something I don't feel sure about I'll let you know so right off!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, something you guys might find interesting that can indicate health to a certain extent of some starfish species is actually how clean they appear. I know that sounds ridiculous but species such as Fromia indica and Linckia laevigata among others have antifouling defenses which keep them looking really clean when healthy!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had what I would consider long term success yet but the others tagged have... personally I'vee been doing research day and night to learn my starfish inside and out to give this guy the best shot at a long life as I possibly can! The reason I want to start a club in the first place is to celebrate something you're truly passionate about with others who share the same enthusiasm...I can certainly tell you plenty I've learned about the biology of Fromias and technically could give you some advice I think is pretty solid (through my studies I've could probably give you some decent guidelines to follow that would be better than most people's) but before I've had him long term I wouldn't feel right about leading you in a certain direction.

Appreciate the info!

They seem to be frequently asked about creatures, so having a bunch of experiences to point to in one thread would be worthwhile.

The only long term success I've seen has been limited to a few individuals with very large, very mature tanks. If someone has "cracked the code" to feeding them sufficiently, I'm sure a ton of folks would love to know (me included).

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the info!

They seem to be frequently asked about creatures, so having a bunch of experiences to point to in one thread would be worthwhile.

The only long term success I've seen has been limited to a few individuals with very large, very mature tanks. If someone has "cracked the code" to feeding them sufficiently, I'm sure a ton of folks would love to know (me included).
It's funny you would say that because I'm actually working on identifying the essential elements contained in the benthic biofilms they consume and attempting to develop a way to grow it!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you would say that because I'm actually working on identifying the essential elements contained in the benthic biofilms they consume and attempting to develop a way to grow it!

I'll be interested to read more when you get it figured out!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be interested to read more when you get it figured out!
Believe me, it's a pretty complicated project but I'm trying to do all I can to piece things together and hopefully things will work out.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back