Line Spot Triggerfish

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone out there has ever had any experience with a line spot triggerfish (xanthichthys lineopunctatus)? I bit the bullet a couple weeks ago & bought this one off D.D. It's about 6" & full of personality. There just isn't much info out there on them at this point, so i figured i'd see if anyone in the R2R community has anything to add.

line spot trigger.jpg

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I also have a 6" Niger that i've had about 6 years or so. Can't really think of a more personable fish than a Trigger.....closest thing to a dog for the saltwater aquarium lol

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to ask how the linespot trigger is doing. Any feedback on personality, reef-safeness, temperament?

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to ask how the linespot trigger is doing. Any feedback on personality, reef-safeness, temperament?
Sadly, mine did not make it through q.t. I believe something was wrong with it's swim bladder that it eventually succumbed to.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer.

I've never seen that one for sale. Only its cousins blue throat, cross hatch, and sargasso

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only saw it for sale one time lol. Imo, after seeing it up close, the sarcasm (red tail) trigger is very similar with a much cheaper price tag

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, mine did not make it through q.t. I believe something was wrong with it's swim bladder that it eventually succumbed to.
Sorry to hear that, that's a tough pill to swallow. There was likely decompression complications, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe this is as deep water species. DD is really not what they used to be, as signs would have shown up before they sent them to you. Deep water species don't make it very long, more times than not, rarely will you see others like the crosshatch kept for very long. Most people are hesitant to fess up when they lose such an expensive investment, thank you.

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, that's a tough pill to swallow. There was likely decompression complications, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe this is as deep water species. DD is really not what they used to be, as signs would have shown up before they sent them to you. Deep water species don't make it very long, more times than not, rarely will you see others like the crosshatch kept for very long. Most people are hesitant to fess up when they lose such an expensive investment, thank you.
You're correct, it is a deep water species, which is the primary reason it's rarely available in the hobby. Couldn't agree more about DD. I really feel they've taken a big step back (shorter guarantee, higher prices, and downgrade in quality). All of my fish after the line spot trigger have come from TSM Aquatics and unless something major changes, that will continue. I've been at this hobby quite a long time so I've learned to have no reservations about sharing my experiences with everyone, good or bad. Hopefully someone can learn from me, or perhaps someone can tell me something I didn't know (it's a win/win). There are going to be unfortunate outcomes here and there if you do this fish/reef keeping thing long enough, but I think I can proudly say, to this point, I've had more good than bad. Thank you for the kind words!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That too bad. Its a gorgeous trigger that gets its name from the lines and spots decorating its body. What makes it difficult is a mentioned, its a deep water fish, and if not gradually brought to the water surface, will have bladder or other internal issues making it short lived.

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That too bad. Its a gorgeous trigger that gets its name from the lines and spots decorating its body. What makes it difficult is a mentioned, its a deep water fish, and if not gradually brought to the water surface, will have bladder or other internal issues making it short lived.
In addition to that, the other thing that I believe contributed to its downfall, was that it was already 6", so it wasn't a young fish. Imo, the stresses of shipping, especially long distances, are that much harder on bigger, older fish

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a brighter note, I do have a gorgeous blotched anthias, another deep water fish, that has made the conversion to reef tank life quite seamlessly. It's eye looks cloudy, but it's actually just the way the picture came out

Attachments

• 20210712_090803.jpg
    20210712_090803.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. How long have you had yours for? Any issues with feeding?about 6 months.

Cool. How long have you had yours for? Any issues with feeding?
Got it about 6 months ago. It was really timid for the first month or so and stayed hidden most of the time. I had pretty good success getting it to eat frozen calanus at first, but now it eats whatever drops in the tank. Has no issues competing with the other fish at feeding time

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak from my limited experience with the one I have, but I don't think they're overtly difficult fish. Their hefty price tag would be what takes them out of the "beginner" category for me. They take a little time to acclimate themselves to your tank, so to make them more comfortable, I'd recommend numerous hiding spots (mine picked one and pretty much always went back to it). Lastly, I'd recommend having frozen mysis and/or calanus to get it eating right away. Mine eventually took pellets after awhile too.

Mrs Woo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are on to our second. The first one jumped during the night. We learned from that and put a jump guard on with the second although he still managed to jump out but this time we were in the room. He’s not tried jumping again since he made it onto the cabinet!
Our first one was really bold and liked a tickle off you. The second is shyer but almost wags with a greeting at you when he sees you and eats like a horse. Used to follow our naso around like a shadow. Quirky little guy who gets stressed easy tho this one. The first one wasn’t bothered about anything.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back