Linking new 2016 Apex to Previous Model "Brain" - probe access?

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Can I hook a previous model Apex brain (where the probes are) to my new 2016 system? Could I pick up a used older system and be able to access all the probes and ports through Apex Fusion?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you cannot connect multiple Apex head units together. You can run each one independently but both linked to your Fusion account, then toggle between each Apex dashboard in Fusion, but they cannot read each other's probes.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the question. It sounds like you want to connect an apex classic to a 2016 apex. If so, what for?

Or maybe you had your apex 2016 go bad and want to place an apex classic in its place.

Please clarify.

i just had the opportunity to pick up an old head unit for super cheap. So I was going use it in a saltwater mixing station.

@SuncrestReef would it then be better pick up an old school EB4 and use modules? I could control my temperature, DOS, and pumps in a saltwater mixing room.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just had the opportunity to pick up an old head unit for super cheap. So I was going use it in a saltwater mixing station.

@SuncrestReef would it then be better pick up an old school EB4 and use modules? I could control my temperature, DOS, and pumps in a saltwater mixing room.

There's really no "better" or "worse". If you just want to use a cheap older model Apex for the mixing station, you can do that. But in Fusion you will need to toggle between your main Apex and your mixing station Apex. They cannot be displayed on the same dashboard at the same time.

If you choose to just add remote modules with your main Apex, then everything would be on a single dashboard in Fusion.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no "better" or "worse". If you just want to use a cheap older model Apex for the mixing station, you can do that. But in Fusion you will need to toggle between your main Apex and your mixing station Apex. They cannot be displayed on the same dashboard at the same time.

If you choose to just add remote modules with your main Apex, then everything would be on a single dashboard in Fusion.

Thank you, that makes total sense. Getting the hang of my Apex!

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're new to the Apex, be sure to read my Apex programming tutorial articles: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/authors/suncrestreef.93940/

I actually have! Thank you for posting it. I am playing around with virtual outlets right now. I really enjoyed your moonlight hack using your main light. I posted a DIY ATK thread on the Apex forum. I’d like to hear your thoughts.

I’ll probably post it here. I am currently not using it. I borrowed a broken ATK (bad sensors, cracked threads) from my LFS.

Mini ATK (DIY)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...read.php?t=29942&share_type=t&link_source=app
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...read.php?t=29942&share_type=t&link_source=app

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back