Lion breathing very fast

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and found a dead shrimp and then found my lion breathing very fast. No ammonia detected on the sea chem badge. Im running a full test of the water now, will update when that is done. Please help, I love this fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I woke up this morning and found a dead shrimp and then found my lion breathing very fast. No ammonia detected on the sea chem badge. Im running a full test of the water now, will update when that is done. Please help, I love this fish.

I am not a fan of seachem badge and highly encourage you to verify badge reading by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
generally its elevayed and ammonia as well as gill flukes that will cause heavy breathing.
What salinity level are you running ?
Any other fish in tank and how are they breathing/behaving?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my heater malfunctioned, the tank is 86 degrees F. Could this be why? Im making some cold RO to help combat that

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of seachem badge and highly encourage you to verify badge reading by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
generally its elevayed and ammonia as well as gill flukes that will cause heavy breathing.
What salinity level are you running ?
Any other fish in tank and how are they breathing/behaving?
My foxface seems stressed, but hard to tell for sure, shes usually spooked. My nems look horrible too. Im thinking its the water being too hot from the heater

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty died

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 24

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Up your oxygen...when the temp goes up, oxygen in the water goes down making it hard for your fish to breathe.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My coral beauty died
Sorry to see and what temperature are we talking about?
When temp gets high, oxygen is often reduced.
What will help is addition of air stones and self made ice packs. first obtain zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see and what temperature are we talking about?
When temp gets high, oxygen is often reduced.
What will help is addition of air stones and self made ice packs. first obtain zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer
Temp was at 86. Ive gotten it down to 82 with the ice packs Ive been using, had an ammonia spike probably due to some fish dying. Im doing a 10 gallon water change (this is my 70 gallon) and have added a big and small air stone to each side of the tank.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp was at 86. Ive gotten it down to 82 with the ice packs Ive been using, had an ammonia spike probably due to some fish dying. Im doing a 10 gallon water change (this is my 70 gallon) and have added a big and small air stone to each side of the tank.
Using Fluval test kit.
Amm 2.4
Nitrite 3.3

Probably will need to do a bigger water change. Everything tested fine yesterday when I ran my panel ;(

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using Fluval test kit.
Amm 2.4
Nitrite 3.3

Probably will need to do a bigger water change. Everything tested fine yesterday when I ran my panel ;(
Yes- temperature will be a culprit as is ammonia level which should be a target at .025
Dont worry about Nitrite which is relevant for freshwater unless sky high over 100 and nitrate up to 30 max for a lion. Do a water change of 20% and then do daily 2-4 gallon changes until you have ammonia down to safe range.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- temperature will be a culprit as is ammonia level which should be a target at .025
Dont worry about Nitrite which is relevant for freshwater unless sky high over 100 and nitrate up to 30 max for a lion. Do a water change of 20% and then do daily 2-4 gallon changes until you have ammonia down to safe range.
Should I acclimate my lion to my 125 tank? The water is all good in there, just tested. She seems to be the most in distress and Im terrified of losing her

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I acclimate my lion to my 125 tank? The water is all good in there, just tested. She seems to be the most in distress and Im terrified of losing her
All the fish seem to be doing better after the water change, and I got the temp down to 78 with a 10 gallon water change. The lion is breathing more normally and she even was eating when I put food in the tank just now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back