LION FISH ONLY TANK.....questions

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay my buddy doesnt want his 90 non rr tank any more so im taking it off his hands. I am going to turn it into a "Lion Den" so to speak. There will only be about 50-60 pounds of live rock for caves and about 1/2 inch of sand.

Can i keep different types of lions in this tank?

Can i keep a dwarf lion with a normal sized to large ones or will he get eaten?

How much flow should i run threw the tank?

ANything else you think might help feel free to add!

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thick rubbergloves i keep a lion in my reef right now and i big net and rubbergloves r a must after getting hit 2 or 3 times you will understand. i run alot of flow with mine and i see him get infront of the power heads all the time and i guess shed his skin lol not sure what hes doing but it happens about once a month

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there messy eaters so anything to keep feeder fish from getting stuck some where and causing problems. another note if you dont want to feeder minows ALL the time make sure they eat frozen krill mine absolutly refuses to eat krill only live food ive seen him spit out every piece of krill he ever got in his mouth

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks for the heads up, i think im going to try sliver sides and frozen food i have heard horror stories about them eating live fresh water food

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine refuses everything but live feeder guppies and minows never had a problem with them if they dont get eatin the end up stuck to my power head or ontop of my filter pad lol. what have you herd about them?

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a lionfish in my care that didn't eventually take frozen. We get them at the shop all the time. I have kept large lions together, but did not keep dwarfs with them. It is only a 90 gallon so I am not sure how many you plan on keeping in there.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well g thats one thing i was wondering what do u think? I dont want to over crowd them at all, thats one thing i was looking for some advice on i was thinking 3-4? Also g ill be stoping in around 5-6 hope ur still there

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater fish are wrong nutrition for them. Feeding minnows or guppies might be ok to get them to eat something. But I try to train each one we get, so when people take them home they eat silversides and prawn frozen.

This is a video i shot couple weeks ago at the London aquarium, they have about 1/2 dozen volitans in that tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WornVgiK6aw

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also thinking doing one big lion, one eel a trigger and a grouper. But i cant get over how cool it would be to have like 3-4 different color lions in one tank. That would be so sweet

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree i would do 2 lions and a snowflack eel and maybe a triger or grouper lol ive had an aggresive tank for a while now and its a great combination with lps and softies but im either setting him up his own tank or me and donny will have to work out something for my marine betta and lionfish ( and maybe that darn aggresive yellow tang i have lol ) i want my reef to be a peacful one lol but yeah

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would do a violtine and the one thats florecent red and white with a snowflake eel or the grouper but word to the wise that grouper will eat everything and anything as long as it can get it in its mouth and it will at least try things it cant get in its mouth

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a volitan and a pair of eels now, all eat frozen right from my hand

Here is a lion tank we had at the old place, pics are from about 4 years ago or so.
DSC04710.jpg

DSC04716.jpg

DSC04717.jpg

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool guys i think ill do the two lions like gary said then a dragon eel and white and black spotted grouper and maybe a clown trigger those are so cool

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back