OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the final build, it's nice to open the windows in the morning and see the corals in their colors. Everything seemed to come together nicely, no catastrophes. My current feeding schedule is producing 0 nitrates. The most frustrating thing is actually finding something to stock the tank with. I did put one of those flame scallops in and it seems to be happy. I always considered this a silly purchase, since they would promptly go behind the rocks and die in most tanks. I figured with the constant feeding and low light one might fair better in this tank. But as usual even with the lower light, it promptly went behind the rocks, at least it set up camp in the corner and I still have a nice view.

001.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the final build, it's nice to open the windows in the morning and see the corals in their colors. Everything seemed to come together nicely, no catastrophes. My current feeding schedule is producing 0 nitrates. The most frustrating thing is actually finding something to stock the tank with. I did put one of those flame scallops in and it seems to be happy. I always considered this a silly purchase, since they would promptly go behind the rocks and die in most tanks. I figured with the constant feeding and low light one might fair better in this tank. But as usual even with the lower light, it promptly went behind the rocks, at least it set up camp in the corner and I still have a nice view.

001.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg
I gotta get spider sponge. I went to wholesaler in Los Angeles. Tour there facility. There was the most healthy spider sponge I've ever seen . Wish I had it. Love your setup

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta get spider sponge. I went to wholesaler in Los Angeles. Tour there facility. There was the most healthy spider sponge I've ever seen . Wish I had it. Love your setup

Yeah I love that thing, so far he's been really really happy.

004.jpg

005.jpg

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some small dendronephthya, healthy

20181126_142345.jpg

20181126_142141.jpg

Those look really nice, I passed on some last week because the pics I saw didn't really do them justice, I wish I would have gotten them now. My little gorg saplings are starting to fuzz up, the thing is these got lost in shipment for 2 days, I'm sure I'm going to lose one.

008.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look really nice, I passed on some last week because the pics I saw didn't really do them justice, I wish I would have gotten them now. My little gorg saplings are starting to fuzz up, the thing is these got lost in shipment for 2 days, I'm sure I'm going to lose one.

008.jpg
Bummer :(

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Lion King's NPS Predator's Reef is now known as Lion King's NPS Cryptic Reef, finding the proper predator to add to the environment has proven to be unrealistic. So I'm going to add my favorite little cryptic reef fish. I began with 2 itty bitty longnose hawkfish in the hopes they will pair up. I'm now on the hunt for a pink streaked wrasse, tanaka's possum wrasse, and a pacific candy basslet.

I added a chili coral last night and am on the look out for a blueberry gorg and some yellow sun corals. So far I've been disappointed with the available sun corals, the black ones I got have yet to pop, although I've even container fed them. I took 2 orange frags from my fav lfs to see if I could get them to recover, he gave them to me cheap. I'll keep an eye out for some dendronephthya as well.

Any ideas of what else to add.

003.jpg

002.jpg

007.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Lion King's NPS Predator's Reef is now known as Lion King's NPS Cryptic Reef, finding the proper predator to add to the environment has proven to be unrealistic. So I'm going to add my favorite little cryptic reef fish. I began with 2 itty bitty longnose hawkfish in the hopes they will pair up. I'm now on the hunt for a pink streaked wrasse, tanaka's possum wrasse, and a pacific candy basslet.

I added a chili coral last night and am on the look out for a blueberry gorg and some yellow sun corals. So far I've been disappointed with the available sun corals, the black ones I got have yet to pop, although I've even container fed them. I took 2 orange frags from my fav lfs to see if I could get them to recover, he gave them to me cheap. I'll keep an eye out for some dendronephthya as well.

Any ideas of what else to add.

003.jpg

002.jpg

007.jpg
Coming together. Very healthy. Thanks for sharing !!!

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find your chili coral online by any chance? I've been on the lookout for one and have not been able to find a source.

I'm currently struggling to get the black sun corals I got two weeks ago to open as well. Many attempts at flood feeding them in a Tupperware container, etc. I think they get really beaten up in the supply chain. Good luck!

If you can find one, spiral wire corals (Cirrhipathes spiralis) are really cool, but are hard to come by. Archetype Aquariums has them periodically, but is out of stock at the moment. https://www.archetypeaquariums.com/collections/cirrhipathes-wire-corals

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think a dwarf lion would be ok in this tank?

I have a Lion's Reef with a zebra, antennata, and fu manchu that's been going for years; it does have good flow but these guys have adjusted over the years; this tank has more flow than the Lion's Reef. I also have Lion fowlr with a blackfoot and a fu, the blackfoot likes little flow. Most of these type of fish including anglers or scorpionfish would just find a place blocking the flow and become even more sedentary than usual.

Did you find your chili coral online by any chance? I've been on the lookout for one and have not been able to find a source.

I'm currently struggling to get the black sun corals I got two weeks ago to open as well. Many attempts at flood feeding them in a Tupperware container, etc. I think they get really beaten up in the supply chain. Good luck!

If you can find one, spiral wire corals (Cirrhipathes spiralis) are really cool, but are hard to come by. Archetype Aquariums has them periodically, but is out of stock at the moment. https://www.archetypeaquariums.com/collections/cirrhipathes-wire-corals

The owner of my fav lfs goes to the wholesalers in SoCal and hand picked the chili for me. I did have an email alert from Fishy Business that they got some in, but I think they already sold them out. i have the Cirrhipathes spiralis on my list as well.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lion's Reef with a zebra, antennata, and fu manchu that's been going for years; it does have good flow but these guys have adjusted over the years; this tank has more flow than the Lion's Reef. I also have Lion fowlr with a blackfoot and a fu, the blackfoot likes little flow. Most of these type of fish including anglers or scorpionfish would just find a place blocking the flow and become even more sedentary than usual.

I see. Well let's see, as far as other ideas... I take it you want to avoid more boisterous little things like damsels and dottybacks?

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Well let's see, as far as other ideas... I take it you want to avoid more boisterous little things like damsels and dottybacks?

My idea of a Predator's tank means that they are fed live foods, not an aggressive tank that many people will call predator tanks. I have an aggressive tank with triggers and a fang tooth eel; a semi-aggressive tank with a volitan lion, puffer, and less aggressive triggers and angels; these tanks are fed dead food. I have 2 true predator tanks; a reef with 3 lions and a ribbon eel, and a fowlr with 2 lions; these tanks are fed live foods. I wanted another true predator tank; my first thought was a pair of flame hawks that I would feed live ghosties and guppies once a week, but it proved harder to acquire than I thought, and I didn't want a singular fish. I will not purchase from the place that has the pairs listed regularly. So it has evolved into a cryptic planned tank, as is what happens sometimes.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ok. But your planned wrasses and basslet aren't exactly predators in that traditional sense either.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I agree that there's a difference between a "predator tank" and an "aggressive tank" even though there can be overlap.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ok. But your planned wrasses and basslet aren't exactly predators in that traditional sense either.

That's why I renamed it to "Lion King's NPS Cryptic Reef". Those little fish that I all chose have a somewhat cryptic personality, they hang in the rocks even tend to be a bit more nocturnal. Not only did I enjoy those 3 in a previous nano tank, I thought they"d fit well in a dimly lit tank. The point of this tank is more for the corals.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I renamed it to "Lion King's NPS Cryptic Reef". Those little fish that I all chose have a somewhat cryptic personality, they hang in the rocks even tend to be a bit more nocturnal. Not only did I enjoy those 3 in a previous nano tank, I thought they"d fit well in a dimly lit tank. The point of this tank is more for the corals.
Ok. That's fine. You asked for suggestions. :shrug:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back