Lionfish died while I was asleep

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was looking rough last night but it was fine all day yesterday and never had a problem, then all of a sudden it got a bit bloated and died. I don't have any tests right now because I just woke up, then I'm off to school. So I can't do much for my tank ATM. I was temporarily feeding it minnows but I don't think that's enough to kill it after a few feedings.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minnows cause bloat and death. Rosies and goldfish are a big no no in feeding lionfish. Structurally the minnows will bind in the gut, causing bloat and death. These 2 feeder fish are also high in thiaminese which binds vitamin B1 and gold fish are too high in the wrong fats. Live food for lionfish should consist of ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minnows cause bloat and death. Rosies and goldfish are a big no no in feeding lionfish. Structurally the minnows will bind in the gut, causing bloat and death. These 2 feeder fish are also high in thiaminese which binds vitamin B1 and gold fish are too high in the wrong fats. Live food for lionfish should consist of ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies.
wasn't aware of the issues beyond thiaminese. Very interesting!

OP
OP
D

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** no way

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard minnows can be dirty feed for predators. Same thing happened to my buddy’s dwarf fuzzy. He loved to feed it minnows but his survived for a lot longer then the 3 days on this diet. How old is your tank?

OP
OP
D

Dunkleosteus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard minnows can be dirty feed for predators. Same thing happened to my buddy’s dwarf fuzzy. He loved to feed it minnows but his survived for a lot longer then the 3 days on this diet. How old is your tank?
3 months. I've been feeding him minnows for about two weeks, from white clouds to Rosie reds, only three feedings though

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** no way

I've seen this end countless times and have cut open fish to find whole bodied partially digested minnows bound in the gut. They either have a bone structure which is hard to digest or binds in some other way, or they stay alive in the gut long enough to bind. It's a fact, minnows will kill lionfish.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this end countless times and have cut open fish to find whole bodied partially digested minnows bound in the gut. They either have a bone structure which is hard to digest or binds in some other way, or they stay alive in the gut long enough to bind. It's a fact, minnows will kill lionfish.
Do you acclimate your feed prior to feedings? Or do the lions just go at them instantly? How often do you feed?

Back