Lionfish has dislocated jaw or maybe lockjaw

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plz help is it lockjaw

Can't get better pic but it's lower lip looks swollen and dislocated and Can't open it's mouth. Diet was only mollies and demsels but 4 days ago it had trobbled digesting a molly and was shedding but suddenly this happened. Plz help
IMG-20231226-WA0027.jpg
20231226_201844.jpg
20231226_201842.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Plz help is it lockjaw

Can't get better pic but it's lower lip looks swollen and dislocated and Can't open it's mouth. Diet was only mollies and demsels but 4 days ago it had trobbled digesting a molly and was shedding but suddenly this happened. Plz help
IMG-20231226-WA0027.jpg
20231226_201844.jpg
20231226_201842.jpg
I would not make mollies and damsels a total diet. Its best fed when they are Not eating or when trying to get them to eat.
Its likely that the fish is being fed too many too soon or had an issue ingesting one and jaw is in the position you see. It will be up to the given fish to release this on its own in which there is no time frame and I would pull back on feeding until this occurs but also consider foods such as krill, silversides, glass shrimp as examples.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not make mollies and damsels a total diet. Its best fed when they are Not eating or when trying to get them to eat.
Its likely that the fish is being fed too many too soon or had an issue ingesting one and jaw is in the position you see. It will be up to the given fish to release this on its own in which there is no time frame and I would pull back on feeding until this occurs but also consider foods such as krill, silversides, glass shrimp as examples.
I had the problem that keep quiting food from months. It took me hard to bring it to eat. It was giving me a pain from 2-3 months but then i started giving it demsel and mollies. Don't know what happened it was alright till yesterday and didn't fed it anything from last 3 weeks. It's lower part of lips has some weird growth in it. Can't get it in pic but it is the area which is swelling. It took a small piece of krill from hand by so much effort. Don't know what should i do

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cant see mouth issue, but they respond well to general cure as a treatment. Do a good water change in case bacterial, increase oxygen with air stone and with canada having limited meds, see if you can obtain General cure or even Ruby Rally Pro. If not, acriflavine

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see mouth issue, but they respond well to general cure as a treatment. Do a good water change in case bacterial, increase oxygen with air stone and with canada having limited meds, see if you can obtain General cure or even Ruby Rally Pro. If not, acriflavine
There is a small stick like growth from it's lower jaw can't get it's pic or in vedio

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a lionfish expert but I don't think mollies and damsels are a good diet. Perhaps @lion king can offer some advise on diet and this fish condition?
I feeded mollies demsels and prawns and silversides but most of the diet was mollies and demsels. I reduced dead food content

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their jaws extend alot and when stretched out can resemble being "broken" or hyperextended. Often times you will see this from overfeeding (when there is too much food in mouth) . If it has a growth I would try to treat w/ broad spectrum antibiotics if you are saying this. I have had many Lionfish over the years and you really should be feeding them silversides/krill . It takes a bit of effort to trick them to get on them but once they are on they usually dont go off feed. This to me says yes there is something going on with him. Also Predatory fish dont have to eat that often so he really should be on 3-4x week maybe..

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their jaws extend alot and when stretched out can resemble being "broken" or hyperextended. Often times you will see this from overfeeding (when there is too much food in mouth) . If it has a growth I would try to treat w/ broad spectrum antibiotics if you are saying this. I have had many Lionfish over the years and you really should be feeding them silversides/krill . It takes a bit of effort to trick them to get on them but once they are on they usually dont go off feed. This to me says yes there is something going on with him. Also Predatory fish dont have to eat that often so he really should be on 3-4x week maybe..
I fed it 2 times a week but yes it's appetite was large. Maybe i done something wrong but don't know what should i do. I hv not fed from 3 days

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry there is nothing more I can add. I remember this situation and have recommended and made observations of what I know and have been successful in keeping volitans for over a decade. If you have considered all my previous suggestions and there are still issues, it is beyond my expertise

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I can add, mollies are a complete food, one that has proven over decades to be a good addition to a diet for a lion. Thats what they eat in the wild, fish that are relatives to a brackish fish, a molly. But, what about the source of the food. If those fish have been treated with chemicals, then the lion has been poisoned. I wrote a thread about a new lfs switching out mollies into clean water before I arrived, they were swimming in methylene blue.

I can't answer to damsels as they ate nota benthic species of fish, which is what lions eat in the wild. These benthic species would have certain nutritional benefits by what they are eating. And a whole live fish with guts and bones is far superior that bots and scrapes, as long as it is the proper type of fish.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I am thinking about it, it maybe due to a tainted source of live fish, being treated with a multitude of chemicals today. Read my thread "WARNING: live food".

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, what about the source of the food. If those fish have been treated with chemicals, then the lion has been poisoned. I wrote a thread about a new lfs switching out mollies into clean water before I arrived, they were swimming in methylene blue.
This can be a good posibility as i hv changed my source recently. So do i hv to stop feeding it for some days? I think it can't eat food on it's own for now but i may handfeed it i think

Don't know why that skin on it's lower jaw has started to grow weirdly

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be a good posibility as i hv changed my source recently. So do i hv to stop feeding it for some days? I think it can't eat food on it's own for now but i may handfeed it i think

Don't know why that skin on it's lower jaw has started to grow weirdly

Since this is something that I have rarely id ever seen, I think I will go with tainted food sources. If you read that thread I go through the long story. But short story, I lost my rhino and a fuzzy that ate alot of mollies. After the pandemic sources got difficult. The new lfa knew I would not take medicated fish, so they pulled a fast one on me, and swapped them out in clean water. It took a few times before I caught them. That jaw thing could be a direct cause of poisoning. It is likely terminal.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is something that I have rarely id ever seen, I think I will go with tainted food sources. If you read that thread I go through the long story. But short story, I lost my rhino and a fuzzy that ate alot of mollies. After the pandemic sources got difficult. The new lfa knew I would not take medicated fish, so they pulled a fast one on me, and swapped them out in clean water. It took a few times before I caught them. That jaw thing could be a direct cause of poisoning. It is likely terminal.
Thx for help. I think it is the best reason which may lead to this. If I'll able to save it,will inform u:)

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw it yawning today, is it a good sign?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back