Lip injury?

20h9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my tank has been set up about 2 weeks now. While acclimation my paired clowns started locking lips (I watched them in the fish store for about a month and believe they were truly paired). I seperated them and finished acclimation.

They went at it pretty bad after 20 m for a while before I blacked out the tank.

They have since gotten along. The male can be funny sometimes and does things I don't remember any of my old clowns doing.

5 Days after acclimation there was a tring from the males lip that I assumed to be from the spat. It got worse and "swelled" up by day 7 With a dot in the middle that I can't remember if he had before or not tbh I will look into past pictures and see If I can tell.

He hasn't lost his appetite as of yet which is a good sign

I dosed rally pro 3 days because it is what my lfs carries. But I'm not sure if it's getting better. The area around the lip has gotten weirdly hazy which could be an equivalent of a scab forming?

Just looking for general advice and to see iif I'm correct and if it's healing or if something else is going on. Also if i should continue dosing or swap meds? TIA.

First picture is from just prior to dosing lip line not visible.

Video and picture are from today where its more see through and maybe swollen?

Screenshot_20240116_165354_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240116_165231_Gallery.jpg 20240116_164540.jpg 20240116_164547.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Another angle of today

Screenshot_20240116_165910_Gallery.jpg 20240116_162306.jpg
Looks to be an injiry from either fighting or cleaning of a rock. The tissue injury injury often heals on its own but keep an eye on it for improvement and not rot.
Is fish still eating ?
Is it fighting with other clown ?

OP
OP

20h9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be an injiry from either fighting or cleaning of a rock. The tissue injury injury often heals on its own but keep an eye on it for improvement and not rot.
Is fish still eating ?
Is it fighting with other clown ?
Still eating well, I'll start looking into rot.

Behavior wise female is still randomly aggressive but the male has definitely submitted and hasnt tried to fight since the first 2 days. She gets him randomly right at the beginning of lights on or off but the male has no other signs of bites on his fins, scales, or gills so it has to be normal female behavior?

It's weird he will return to sleep with her but it's her that that generally goes to him. Then he may swim near her for a bit but 95 percent of the time he is riding the flow so seems happy. Unless im remembering wrong I just remember my males always returning to the female randomly then venturing back out not the female reminding him she exists lol.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Still eating well, I'll start looking into rot.

Behavior wise female is still randomly aggressive but the male has definitely submitted and hasnt tried to fight since the first 2 days. She gets him randomly right at the beginning of lights on or off but the male has no other signs of bites on his fins, scales, or gills so it has to be normal female behavior?

It's weird he will return to sleep with her but it's her that that generally goes to him. Then he may swim near her for a bit but 95 percent of the time he is riding the flow so seems happy. Unless im remembering wrong I just remember my males always returning to the female randomly then venturing back out not the female reminding him she exists lol.
A sure sign of female hierarchy where she will bully and intimidate the clown, steal all the food, hog areas of the tank and chase it, Clown like to bite and use their mouths as a defense system.
If it worsens, treatment will be Seachem Kanaplex in a separate tank or for protection you can add ruby Rally pro now which is reef safe in the display

OP
OP

20h9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sure sign of female hierarchy where she will bully and intimidate the clown, steal all the food, hog areas of the tank and chase it, Clown like to bite and use their mouths as a defense system.
If it worsens, treatment will be Seachem Kanaplex in a separate tank or for protection you can add ruby Rally pro now which is reef safe in the display
I'll order both to be safe thanks for your help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, my tank has been set up about 2 weeks now. While acclimation my paired clowns started locking lips (I watched them in the fish store for about a month and believe they were truly paired). I seperated them and finished acclimation.

They went at it pretty bad after 20 m for a while before I blacked out the tank.

They have since gotten along. The male can be funny sometimes and does things I don't remember any of my old clowns doing.

5 Days after acclimation there was a tring from the males lip that I assumed to be from the spat. It got worse and "swelled" up by day 7 With a dot in the middle that I can't remember if he had before or not tbh I will look into past pictures and see If I can tell.

He hasn't lost his appetite as of yet which is a good sign

I dosed rally pro 3 days because it is what my lfs carries. But I'm not sure if it's getting better. The area around the lip has gotten weirdly hazy which could be an equivalent of a scab forming?

Just looking for general advice and to see iif I'm correct and if it's healing or if something else is going on. Also if i should continue dosing or swap meds? TIA.

First picture is from just prior to dosing lip line not visible.

Video and picture are from today where its more see through and maybe swollen?

Screenshot_20240116_165354_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240116_165231_Gallery.jpg 20240116_164540.jpg 20240116_164547.jpg
It takes Rally pro 2-3 days to take effect. The next 48hrs will clarify if its working

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my b&w has that from time to time along with minor fungal/bacterial whitish film. Several other times, found it with lips full of bristles (from bristleworms ) and usually clears up in a week (luckily without any infection/ intervention from me yet). Time should bring it back healthy

OP
OP

20h9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my b&w has that from time to time along with minor fungal/bacterial whitish film. Several other times, found it with lips full of bristles (from bristleworms ) and usually clears up in a week (luckily without any infection/ intervention from me yet). Time should bring it back healthy

It takes Rally pro 2-3 days to take effect. The next 48hrs will clarify if its working

I dosed the rally pro and it does sem to be getting better forsure. Not to say it wasn't already doing so prior to dosing but it seems like the hazy injured area is "filling in" getting darker like it was building tissue if that makes sense. Thank you both for the advice and lending your experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back