Lionfish question

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my v. lionfish accidentally eaten a prawn(which I was giving to my demsel). It is the first time it has eaten anything death in 5 weeks. I was only feeding it live food. So I hv read that krill causes lockjaw so is prawn and krill are same? Also what other frozen food can I feed it? I know death food is not so good for them so I'll only feed frozen once in a 2 week.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the longterm frequent feeding of foods high in thiaminese that will cause a premature death, not an occasional inclusive. Offer bite sized chunks of various seafood including a fatty fish like salmon, scallop, mussel, clams, San Francisco Bay brand silversides, shrimp; fresh and frozen in small batches if possible. For more in depth discussions of feeding lions and the meaning of many nutritional factors please click my name and "find all threads".

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the longterm frequent feeding of foods high in thiaminese that will cause a premature death, not an occasional inclusive. Offer bite sized chunks of various seafood including a fatty fish like salmon, scallop, mussel, clams, San Francisco Bay brand silversides, shrimp; fresh and frozen in small batches if possible. For more in depth discussions of feeding lions and the meaning of many nutritional factors please click my name and "find all threads".
Thanks. I'll only feed death food once in a 2 week time so that it may give it a variety in food. I hv read all your threads before bringing lionfish :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll only feed death food once in a 2 week time so that it may give it a variety in food. I hv read all your threads before bringing lionfish :)

As long as you are feeding proper live foods to your volitan there's obviously no problem, a full grown volitan will eat several mollies and week. No goldfish or rosies. The volitan is one that is almost always agreeable to eating dead foods and usually will take a variety of healthy options. Many times you can train your volitan to just swim up and you drop the chunks of food in for them. If not they will readily eat from a feeding stick. I have kept volitans more than 10 years on dead food only diet, their lifespan is about 15 years in the wild.

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are feeding proper live foods to your volitan there's obviously no problem, a full grown volitan will eat several mollies and week. No goldfish or rosies. The volitan is one that is almost always agreeable to eating dead foods and usually will take a variety of healthy options. Many times you can train your volitan to just swim up and you drop the chunks of food in for them. If not they will readily eat from a feeding stick. I have kept volitans more than 10 years on dead food only diet, their lifespan is about 15 years in the wild.
My lfs told me it eats dead food but when it came to my tank, it never eat that. In beginning it was denying to live food then I treated with prazi in my qt and it started eating. Now it is eating 4 mollies in one time. It was not taking dead food but accidentally when I feeded demsel, demsel was breaking food into pieces and it suddenly eaten that. Now I think it will accept it

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs told me it eats dead food but when it came to my tank, it never eat that. In beginning it was denying to live food then I treated with prazi in my qt and it started eating. Now it is eating 4 mollies in one time. It was not taking dead food but accidentally when I feeded demsel, demsel was breaking food into pieces and it suddenly eaten that. Now I think it will accept it

Initially when they refused food they could have had internal parasites, and your pp cured them. They may not take all the dead food you offer, just try a variety to see what they will eat. If they refuse something today, try again because they may take it later. In turn they may just stop taking something that they took regularly. If they are difficult, mix it into your feeding schedule while offer a molly. Make sure it's moving in the water column.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back