Lionfish thoughts

tomtom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 29gallon with 6 grow out angelfish that decided to become 3 pairs. Currently have wigglers and a new batch of eggs in last hour. Planning on a fowlr retrofit with a oversize skimmer and power head. I'm planning on using the live rock as main filtration system as I find canisters on sw to be nitrate factories. The tank will eventually be home to a young dwarf lionfish as solo occupant. What are your opinions?

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one with a fu Manchu in a 60. Love them! The dwarf fuzzy is one of my most active fish. Here's always following me for food and has time of personality. At the same time, they also are just as comfortable hanging out in the Rockwell, so would adapt well to a smaller tank.

I recommend keeping them in an animation box the first few days or even a week or two until you get them eating frozen.

OP
OP
tomtom39

tomtom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one with a fu Manchu in a 60. Love them! The dwarf fuzzy is one of my most active fish. Here's always following me for food and has time of personality. At the same time, they also are just as comfortable hanging out in the Rockwell, so would adapt well to a smaller tank.

I recommend keeping them in an animation box the first few days or even a week or two until you get them eating frozen.

Thanks for your reply. It would be sole occupant so will be able to keep full eye on it and the store I will get it from will run it through copper etc for me and will make sure it's eating first. But saying that I have converted difficult eaters before

OP
OP
tomtom39

tomtom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of angels?
20191009_151019.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is really too small, because most people keep them in such small tanks and feed them dead food on a stick they assume they are not that active. If given proper care they are relitively active and will live well over 10 years. They many times can also be very social and enjoy a tank dynamic with other fish. A 40b is the smallest I would recommend, while a bc29 would surfice for a year or 2 if you him really small. Please read through some of my post in the Predator discuzzion.

OP
OP
tomtom39

tomtom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is really too small, because most people keep them in such small tanks and feed them dead food on a stick they assume they are not that active. If given proper care they are relitively active and will live well over 10 years. They many times can also be very social and enjoy a tank dynamic with other fish. A 40b is the smallest I would recommend, while a bc29 would surfice for a year or 2 if you him really small. Please read through some of my post in the Predator discuzzion.

Thanks for your reply and honest comments

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back