list of specific fish as to why difficult?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought this was the area to post this.
I couldn't find it but is there a list of what the challenges are when a fish is listed as difficult or expert only rather than researching each fish separately?

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that any fish that requires a certain diet or habit is hard to keep.
yes, but most of the websites just say difficult rather than specific dietary needs etc...I thought someone may have put together a list of all available species out there with what makes them hard to keep on one page type of thing.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's an issue of Coral Magazine that focuses on that exact topic. You could probably find it for free on Google now since it was written a long time ago.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or become a Ichthyologist

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought this was the area to post this.
I couldn't find it but is there a list of what the challenges are when a fish is listed as difficult or expert only rather than researching each fish separately?

There are some specific books on reef keeping that has chapters on fish and their challenges. Reef fishes Vol 1 as one example by Scott Michael. Bob Fenner has a couple books relates to butterflies, tangs, etc. If you are looking for an actual list, diets, and other meta data then no, probably not readily available today.

Books are always nice to have and a life long reference but these days not that cheap unless you can find them used. Even then. Searches are ideal but just be aware that you may end up with conflicting opinions. When that happens the onus is on the hobbyist to do more research and then come up with their own conclusions.

Not to trivialize what expert means one thing that always stands out is the source of product. Collection, handling along the supply chain, isolation, quarantine, etc. Expert may mean food requirement(s), may require display maturity (sponges, algae, pods, etc), or it may mean temperature. A lot of variables.

Anyway Scott Michael, Fenner, few other authors have some amazing books that may help and will serve you well with your time in the hobby. Otherwise search the 'net and do your best to vet the results. You will see a pretty good pattern before you know it on who is giving the advice and the quality of it.

All the best.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some specific books on reef keeping that has chapters on fish and their challenges. Reef fishes Vol 1 as one example by Scott Michael. Bob Fenner has a couple books relates to butterflies, tangs, etc. If you are looking for an actual list, diets, and other meta data then no, probably not readily available today.

Books are always nice to have and a life long reference but these days not that cheap unless you can find them used. Even then. Searches are ideal but just be aware that you may end up with conflicting opinions. When that happens the onus is on the hobbyist to do more research and then come up with their own conclusions.

Not to trivialize what expert means one thing that always stands out is the source of product. Collection, handling along the supply chain, isolation, quarantine, etc. Expert may mean food requirement(s), may require display maturity (sponges, algae, pods, etc), or it may mean temperature. A lot of variables.

Anyway Scott Michael, Fenner, few other authors have some amazing books that may help and will serve you well with your time in the hobby. Otherwise search the 'net and do your best to vet the results. You will see a pretty good pattern before you know it on who is giving the advice and the quality of it.

All the best.
thanks. very informative. gives me a good source for books to look into.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. very informative. gives me a good source for books to look into.
September/October 2018 Coral Magazine...it discusses 50 species...
IMG_20240407_072008.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
September/October 2018 Coral Magazine...it discusses 50 species...
IMG_20240407_072008.jpg

Not pushing products but when subscribing to Coral magazine you have access to their back catalog. Well worth it in my opinion not to mention supporting them.

There is also Advanced Aquarist who has their past articles archived. Some hidden gems tucked away. How many are specific to fish I can't say - sorry about that. Just throwing out another wealth of history and knowledge. I still visit frequently as there is some great stuff.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not pushing products but when subscribing to Coral magazine you have access to their back catalog. Well worth it in my opinion not to mention supporting them.

There is also Advanced Aquarist who has their past articles archived. Some hidden gems tucked away. How many are specific to fish I can't say - sorry about that. Just throwing out another wealth of history and knowledge. I still visit frequently as there is some great stuff.

Or you can buy the magazine copy for like $5 as an back issue...might be worth it for OP in the future to have it on hand if he likes difficult species

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back