Litremeter 3

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty much set on purchasing a litremeter for dosing kalk to my tank, wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy one. Straight from SpectraPure?

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty much set on purchasing a litremeter for dosing kalk to my tank, wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy one. Straight from SpectraPure?

Fwiw, I've burned through 2 or 3 liter meters and several replacement heads over the years. I'm now using an Apex DOS and much happier with it.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I've burned through 2 or 3 liter meters and several replacement heads over the years. I'm now using an Apex DOS and much happier with it.

Huh. I’ve only heard excellent things about the litremeter, also I don’t have an apex/controller. Personally I’d rather just get a calcium reactor instead of spending the cash for a controller just to dose. Doesn’t the litremeter have a very good warranty?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard this before. What application were you using them on? The only time mine has failed is when I dropped the controller in kalk.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe anyone but spectrapure carries these.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had experience with the spectrapure peristaltic pumps for dosing and water changes. They're a bit antiquated compared to what's on the market now especially in the price range. Same can be said for the Neptune systems Dos.

The Versa pump from ecotech is hands down far superior in every way for any dosing, awc, calcium reactor (and soon) ato needs.

The great thing about that is they operate in the Mobius Universe, which is an app based controller (but not a controller)that will soon allow you to connect any and all other ecotech equipment to the same platform for ease of control.

Definitely something worth looking at and if you're doing your homework, you'll find that there's nothing better in terms of peristaltic pumps for the hobby.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the installation of my litermeter 3 for dosing kalk.

way too many people say it’s the way to go for me to believe someone that says they’ve burned through several (5 year warranty), or that a versa is superior ( it’s been on the market for what, 2 months?)

spectrapure was the only place I found that sold them.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Versa pump from ecotech is hands down far superior in every way for any dosing, awc, calcium reactor (and soon) ato needs.

Definitely something worth looking at and if you're doing your homework, you'll find that there's nothing better in terms of peristaltic pumps for the hobby.

Though I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Versa, I would give them a bit more time in the wild before making a blanket statement and calling them hands down better than the Litermeter, a product with a proven track record for reliability.

While Ecotech has phenomenal customer service, I cannot ignore the many reports of leaky fittings and pump noise from new users. While Ecotech is quick to replace them and make it right, that doesn’t hide the fact that these problems do exist in these initial runs of Versa pumps.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the installation of my litermeter 3 for dosing kalk.

way too many people say it’s the way to go for me to believe someone that says they’ve burned through several (5 year warranty), or that a versa is superior ( it’s been on the market for what, 2 months?)

spectrapure was the only place I found that sold them.

Thanks a bunch. Like I said in the OP I have pretty much decided, was mainly curious on where to buy. I like old school and simple, definitely dont need any wifi/app/controller bs to squirt some kalk in the tank. Ill put an order in with spectrapure.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Versa, I would give them a bit more time in the wild before making a blanket statement and calling them hands down better than the Litermeter, a product with a proven track record for reliability.

While Ecotech has phenomenal customer service, I cannot ignore the many reports of leaky fittings and pump noise from new users. While Ecotech is quick to replace them and make it right, that doesn’t hide the fact that these problems do exist in these initial runs of Versa pumps.
Fair enough, the question is what's relevant? I would categorize leaking connections in the "it happens" file. Easily an oversight that was immediately addressed and fixed.

My main concerns with these pumps was what happens when they operate as ecotech intended and the warranty falls off. What type of reliability does the motor have, when can we expect it to fail? and how long will the movable/wearable components last before they needed to be replaced?

One pump in the current form has been running since 2018, with zero motor or driver failure and still going strong. I don't know how many ecotech had running on some test bed at that time, but what matters is reliability. They conducted "hundreds of years" worth of water changes, pushed the pump further than any average user would experience so that they could stand behind a good product. Who cares about a little gear noise? To me that irrelevant, still quieter than the Dos. It doesn't effect longevity.

And finally, just like any movable component, some wear is to be expected but the same tube, rollers, rotor, motor are still in operation. most peristaltic tubes need to be replaced every 6 months. 2+ years and still the same one... you're right time will tell... I'm just one of a handful, but i can safely recommend this pump with confidence, in a few more years others will join.

Last edited:

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. I’ve only heard excellent things about the litremeter, also I don’t have an apex/controller. Personally I’d rather just get a calcium reactor instead of spending the cash for a controller just to dose. Doesn’t the litremeter have a very good warranty?

Yes, it had a good warranty and they took care of me, but I had too many problems with it in the end.

It's an old system and maybe I was trying to accomplish too much with it (Continuous water change plus kalk), but it's supposed to be able to handle that.

The specific problems I had were the plastic rollers would get jammed up and then the calibration would float. Servicing the roller heads is a real pain in the butt and takes a near miracle to get everything perfectly fit inside the mechanical housing.

Just reporting on my experience. The Apex DOS has been completely hassle free for me. There are other peristaltic pumps nowadays if you're not looking for something controllable.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks a bunch. Like I said in the OP I have pretty much decided, was mainly curious on where to buy. I like old school and simple, definitely dont need any wifi/app/controller crap to squirt some kalk in the tank. Ill put an order in with spectrapure.
Have two, one doing AWC, and one for ATO. Both have worked without fail for 3-4 years. Love them! Maintenance free too!

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a litermeter 3 for 5 years no issues what so ever cleaned the rollers once calibration is spot on and their quiet.

My tank before this I ran the same system 3 years never cleaned them lol

I‘ve been extremely happy with this setup which is why I got a second setup Tank is super stable ill never not run an auto water change system.

2584D219-0A98-4E95-89A7-C978F2098222.jpeg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase strait from Spectrapure but they are local to me an I have known Charles for years. When I used to work at an LFS, Spectrapure sold us Litermeters for $15 less than they were selling them retail on their website. I truly think this is the reason the Litermeter is not more popular. No margin for retailers so no LFSs, or online retailers put the effort in to stock or market the product.

On the other hand you can now that reason there are low margin for retailers is because the pumps actually cost a lot to make. They are not made in China like Versa or DOS. They are made in the USA and I have seen the production facility so I can vouch for it. Charles designed the pumps himself and is not simply re purposing parts from some other industry.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back