Little critter in my tank

bmill89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All I am very new to the hobby, and have been running a saltwater 25 gallon water box for two months now. I have a few soft corals, nassarius snails, a turbo snail, and a clown pair, pistol goby pair and a Firefish. They are all healthy and doing well. Besides the ugly stage the tank seems to be running well. Salinity is 1.024, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 ppm nitrates and I thinks it’s is .25 phosphate.

Anyway…I saw this little critter in my tank today suctioned to the glass in the back of the tank. It didn’t dart away or swim. I was able to remove it with a pair of tweezers. It’s the only one I’ve seen and I can’t detect anything on the rock, corals or fish. What is this? It’s about 1/4 an inch oval, oval, brown and almost plated looking. Should I be worried? Also I didn’t keep the little bugger, maybe I should have to investigate further.

IMG_1143.jpeg IMG_1140.jpeg IMG_1141.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1142.mov
    1.6 MB
OP
OP
B

bmill89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think of that as a possibility, but was unsure due to the lack of movement and less opaque color...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think of that as a possibility, but was unsure due to the lack of movement and less opaque color...
Yeah, if it has legs underneath, it's an isopod; if it has a foot like a snail or clam, then it's a chiton.

At this point, I'd lean toward isopod. If it is an isopod, then you'd want to check and see if it can curl into a ball; it looks like the safe kind, but seeing it curl would confirm it.

OP
OP
B

bmill89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I was in a rush this morning for work and hastily disposed of the critter. When I came home I inspected the tank throughly and saw no sign of others on the glass, rock, or fish. But I might try to take a peek once the lights are out. Thanks for the info!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back