Little stick back from the dead

  • Thread starter Thread starter SoggyNW
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SoggyNW

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
611
Location
Wenatchee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another reminder to give your "dead" frags a chance. This little guy died months ago. Except under the right conditions I thought that maybe I could see a speck of something? The speck is so small I had to zoom with my camera to verify. So I kept it.

IMG_20200625_194720.jpg


Fast forward a month and it is definitely alive one little polyp held on and is fighting back. Maybe this will produce a stronger coral, but I'm glad I didn't throw it out.

MVIMG_20200716_192155.jpg


I'll try to keep this updated every few weeks to track the comeback.
 
Very cool. I had a friend who would take anything I thought was a goner and put it in his tank and bring back little pieces of them from survived polyps. I certainly don’t have the patience for it.
 
I've got something similar going on in my tank actually! A tiny fragment that I dug up from my sand bed somehow survived it's time in the locker lol
 
Update. I think the little survivor is still gaining ground. It doesn't look like much but if you go by percentage growth I think it's going well.

IMG_20200821_204420.jpg


Last week I dragged a piece off of my bird'snest for a friend and when it was all done I noticed a 1/4 in piece in the sand. No point in wasting it so I got it with a pair of tweezers and glued it to the rock. I thought it would be interesting to add it to the thread.
IMG_20200821_204435.jpg
 
It’s good to see a post about corals coming back from the dead, rather than the standard I’m killing all the corals in my tank. Great work!

I once had a frogspwan do the exact same thing. It was dead skeleton, but I left it in. It grew to over 100 heads in 2 years time.
 
it happens all the time but to be clear, they can’t come back from the dead. A surviving polyp grows out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new