OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now phosphates are high. Do I cut out the reef roids and cut back on feeding?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing. Go from low nutrients to high in weeks. Buy stuff to raise nutrients and now need to buy more to lower them. Possibly the nutrients were there as I have not fed the roids that much. Is keeping a reef this way? Maybe I am missing something. And with phosphates high I am guessing the algae farm is imminent.

I did low feeding, good equipment, took my time to let the tank mature on its own. I guess I did it all wrong.

I will guess next will need 5 more power heads, special lights, the ESV and a red sea supplement line of additives, reactors and lots of self medication to get me in the mindset for this.

I’ll do another water change this week. And will retest. Will make a decision next week whether to keep it or put it on the curb.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the only way to lower phosphates now to add GFO/rowaphos in a bag in the sump? Not buying a reactor for that now. Allot of water changes?

The sump has a refugium area. Should I attempt starting that now that the nitrates are over 15? If so. Just get a ball of chaeto and turn on the fuge light for 8 hours? Or just forget that for now?

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did have low nutrients, so your system is capable of lowering them without a lot of expensive equipment. You’ll just have to dial it in with reducing feeding/supplements, and frequent testing.

Also might want to consider:

-Bacteria addition
-Pods (and frequent phytoplankton dosing)
-Adding or increasing bio filter media in the sump

Don’t kick it to the curb just yet. You’re getting close. Your nutrients swung the other way so now fine tune it.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting at refugium will be okay. You can just add the rowaphos and then remove it once your phosphates are lower and if you have balance you should be able to keep your parameters in line. It's a balancing act it's kind of like making soup. If nitrates go down too much feed a little more if they're high you do a water change. If phosphates start dropping too much with the rowaphos feed some reefroids a couple times a week. It's just a little give and take you got to find your sweet spot. What you will start to notice is your tweaking less and less as everything stabilizes.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Add some rowahos. Stopped feeding the reed roids.

PH 8.0
Nitrate 17.5
Phos 0.06
Mag 1310
Alk 7.0
CA 400
Temp 77
Sal 1.025

Phosphates dropped. Nitrates have not budged. Alk / Cal are being consumed. Trying to start dosing b-ionic.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look the same. Have not lost any in 2 weeks. Only feeding the fish mysis every other day. Should expect the PO4 to drop using the rowaphos in a reactor?

Nitrates should be ok. Want to try the refugium if I can find any macro/cheato locally.

PH 8.0
Nitrate 17.6
Phos 0.06
Mag 1300
Alk 7.0
CA 400
Temp 77
Sal 1.025

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observations. - things look the same. Still no noticeable growth.

PH 8.0
Nitrate 17.8
Phos 0.03
Mag 1280
Alk 9.0
CA 420
Temp 77
Sal 1.024

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As explained to you numerous times stability is key. Coral growth is nor going to take off in a couple of weeks. Seems your alk is all over the place and now your salinity is a little low. Any reason why you won't raise your mag?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just an observation. Things look the same. Not better not worse.

I have been adding Red Sea mag twice a week. Maybe I should try another brand like ESV. All I am not sold on the Salifert kit but that is what it read today.

Planning a 20g water change tomorrow.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just an observation. Things look the same. Not better not worse.

I have been adding Red Sea mag twice a week. Maybe I should try another brand like ESV. All I am not sold on the Salifert kit but that is what it read today.

Planning a 20g water change tomorrow.
It will take multiple months of stability in parameters, lights and flow before you will start seeing noticeable growth in corals.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to do a water change? Might want to let it ride for a couple weeks and let it settle. Just keep an eye on your cal and alk so they don't start to drop

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google Randy Holmes Farley reef parameters. He has great articles on how all the parameters interact to help with stability especially mag.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is starting to increase. And it’s on my monthly schedule of water changes .

I know it’s going to take months to see anything substantial. Nothing died this week so I guess that is an improvement. The only coral that is multiplying or shedding is the Kenya tree. It has been dropping branches off. Need to get them out to bring to the LFS.

I don’t want to waste money on corals if they are going to die. Would you agree not to add any livestock for 6 month?”s?

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six months is just an arbitrary number. Wait till you get everything stabilized and your current corals look good with some growth. Might consider adding a fish or two.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested all again. 8.6 this time. Time for some other test kits? Recommendations other then a guessing game with Salifert?

Another question. I have the glass tops on the tank. With the lights at 80%. Is that enough or a guessing game until I find a par meter? Not planning to change unless there is an issue.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested all again. 8.6 this time. Time for some other test kits? Recommendations other then a guessing game with Salifert?

Another question. I have the glass tops on the tank. With the lights at 80%. Is that enough or a guessing game until I find a par meter? Not planning to change unless there is an issue.
I would have those lights turned up all the way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back