Live aquaria

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neltel_7, offer the sailfin a variety of foods including live seaweeds like chaeto, gracilaria or caulerpa. perhaps vitamins in the water too.

looks like you have him in a QT so that’s a plus too offering a tranquil environment. thumbs up.

might sound cheesy but don’t discount using plastic plants/plastic caves to further destress the tang.

named him yet?? :)

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month before the virus I had two seperate shipments. One was from California and one was from florida. Boxed very well with heat packs. I had ordered 4 clams. Very satisfied with liveaquaria.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neltel_7, offer the sailfin a variety of foods including live seaweeds like chaeto, gracilaria or caulerpa. perhaps vitamins in the water too.

looks like you have him in a QT so that’s a plus too offering a tranquil environment. thumbs up.

might sound cheesy but don’t discount using plastic plants/plastic caves to further destress the tang.

Yes! I have seaweed clips and cheato for him to munch on. Right now because it’s harder for him to graze on things ( because of his lip) so I feed him a mixture of mysis, frozen brine shrimp, crushed spectrum pellets and shredded seaweed twice a day. He has not been particularly taking to the seaweed so each feeding I put a little more seaweed than the time before because I know it’s essential for them.
Regarding the plastic caves and things, I have a red solo cup with the bottom cut out and he really likes that and I also have a small plastic container with a sand bed on the bottom of it and that’s where he sleeps. I will look into using plastic plants to make it seem more natural! Thanks!

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And his name is Tommy Tang Hahaha
Super original lolll

tacopaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst vendor on planet! Seriously. I've ordered premium corals and had them send me kenya tree instead. Had to fight to get a refund. Fish are hit and miss - most of the ones I purchased from them have died after a very short period. Customer service is atrocious. If you want truthful reviews about them poke around on FB and yelp, not message boards that are sponsored by them.

On a side note, I quit buying from them over a year ago after the Kenya tree incident (this was the last of several issues with them) and left a bad review detailing the issues I had. My wife recently placed an order with them for something for her tank and they refused her order. She called and they said they banned her from all purchases. I presume they linked the home address and unbeknownst to me had actually banned me, lol.

There are far better vendors out there, believe me.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst vendor on planet! Seriously. I've ordered premium corals and had them send me kenya tree instead. Had to fight to get a refund. Fish are hit and miss - most of the ones I purchased from them have died after a very short period. Customer service is atrocious. If you want truthful reviews about them poke around on FB and yelp, not message boards that are sponsored by them.

On a side note, I quit buying from them over a year ago after the Kenya tree incident (this was the last of several issues with them) and left a bad review detailing the issues I had. My wife recently placed an order with them for something for her tank and they refused her order. She called and they said they banned her from all purchases. I presume they linked the home address and unbeknownst to me had actually banned me.... tacopaco- please suggest better online fish sellers as I’d like to try them thx,

There are far better vendors out there, believe me.
Sorry for your experiences but hasn’t been mine. As previously mentioned they have been a bit hit or miss on fish even from Divers Den but they have always stood behind their guarantees and customer service has been really good. I did notice though that as you said they do notate the file on service issues you’ve called in for and once they It was documented since i received a live stock credit on more than one occasion, any additional requests had to be approved by management...... so they do watch and use i. But in balance they’ve been fair to me.....

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a shipment of fish coming from the California facility and am extremely nervous. Please share your experience with live aquaria in the last couple of months (good or bad) if you have had any.
I HATE THEM I love sites like corals.com and other online sites but live aquaria are terrible

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an order from LA which came from Ora Florida. Could not have been better. Plus since I had questions I contacted Ora and they replied with my answers. If you look all over the LA site it is slim pickens. With most of the Wholesalers shut down only QM is open. It is just a matter of time before they are cleaned out, unless something happens

tacopaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your experiences but hasn’t been mine. As previously mentioned they have been a bit hit or miss on fish even from Divers Den but they have always stood behind their guarantees and customer service has been really good. I did notice though that as you said they do notate the file on service issues you’ve called in for and once they It was documented since i received a live stock credit on more than one occasion, any additional requests had to be approved by management...... so they do watch and use i. But in balance they’ve been fair to me.....
Meh, no worries, plenty o fishes in the sea :) I have a handful of vendors I deal with that supply quality corals and fish along with great customer service, could care less about LA or Divers Den being bent out of shape at me for a negative review. I will however warn others of their antics so they might not get caught in their bs, though they've done a pretty good job at damaging their own reputation.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to what I said earlier since I just got an order today.

#1 order a while ago: Damsels with Uronema dead in a few days and Gramma dead in 12 hours. I let it go and didn't report it.

#2 order a few weeks ago: Temp 63 F at delivery. Three cardinals dead. Nice customer service manager granted a one time shipping credit. Was back to being a happy camper. Was going to need another order anyway since some of the fish went out of stock in my shopping cart before I completed check out and I didn't everything I had ordered :(

#3 order arrived today: Chromis with Uronema. One dead today with tell tale redness on side. On this one, to replace the one Chromis assuming I can cure the others, it will be $30 for shipping and $10 box charge out of my pocket for a $15 dollar fish. Starting to think why we as customers would accept having to pay $40 to replace fish that are DOA or obviously diseased.

All of this from the CA facility. It's unlikely I ever order from there again. Diver's Den or ORA probably, but I feel I'm better off rolling the dice local for the more common things that come from CA.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2 years I've lost only 1 fish from live aquaria/divers den, and that was 7 months later and was my fault.

On another note, has anyone noticed their prices lately? Seems like they have skyrocketed.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no supply coming in and I believe QM is the only wholesale place still open in California. I look at the LA website everyday the list of available fish is dwindling. It comes down to supply and demand.

jk1151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first order from Divers Den. It hasn’t been great. A bonded pair of longnose hawkfish and a Yellow eye Koke Tang. I lost the female hawkfish and tang. Neither really ate and just ever seemed healthy. The male hawk has been active and eating. I can’t say how customer service is as I haven’t heard back yet but should soon.

Do they reimburse you or only give store credit? I’m concerned with buying from them again as this wasn’t the best experience I’ve had as far as healthy fish go. I have had great experience with TSM aquatics so far.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did my first order from Divers Den. It hasn’t been great. A bonded pair of longnose hawkfish and a Yellow eye Koke Tang. I lost the female hawkfish and tang. Neither really ate and just ever seemed healthy. The male hawk has been active and eating. I can’t say how customer service is as I haven’t heard back yet but should soon.

Do they reimburse you or only give store credit? I’m concerned with buying from them again as this wasn’t the best experience I’ve had as far as healthy fish go. I have had great experience with TSM aquatics so far.
Yes you must email them soon though

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mostly good experiences recently with diver’s den fishes: nice tangs & angels. I quarantined them but they arrived healthy and alert and the support when needed has been good.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had written previously that LA diver den has been hit or miss on fish. Having gone over all the fish orders that I have gotten from there.....sad to say but it has been mostly miss. From what I can remember there si not a fish that I have gotten from them that has not gone thru trauma and if it wasn’t for my commitment to save them would have all died....some did anyway. Couple of examples.....I ordered a scribble angel that died suddenly. They replaced him. Replacement scribble had bad Lymph...really bad. They issued another credit. Bought an emperor angel which was near death 3 times with in days/weeks and saved him every time. It had gill flukes upon arrival, then developed bacteria infection and then gill flukes again....all near death experiences and all cured through rigorous treatments. Another example is Lyretail anthias. Ordered 1 male and 4 females. Got 3 males and 3 females. Sent me 2 more for free and both were makes again when they were suppose to be females. They devised any responsibility for the 2nd 2 females saying they were not males....crazy. Since then all of the anthias have died of Urethma or male on male aggression. I have 3 left out of 7...the original dominate male and 2 females. These are some examples. I’ve had much better luck with LFS.....I still stand by their customer service though....the people answering the phones are very helpful. Now that I reviewed the last year of purchasing fish from them however, I will no longer do so....

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a continuation to my post above as edit time had elapsed).....

I wanted to also add the last problem fish from LA Divers Den. I bought a beautiful Gold flake angel about 3 months ago now. It was delivered in beautiful shape and ate robustly upon arrival. While in 40g QT it started glass surfing then it stopped eating. I put it in display, it still didn’t eat. Removed it in to a 55g Qt to get it to eat again...it started to eat. After plumping him up, I returned to display, out stopped eating again. I tried everything then gave it some fresh mussels , clams and oysters in the shell. It picked at it, never really robustly but at least ate something..I then tried going back to the usual frozen foods with and w/o sponge. Stopped eating again....I do believe that although I have tried to rid it of all internal parasites with everything you can think of, prazi, metro,fbendizole, GC, etc, it still has stringy poop and that is part of the problem. Although divers den said they de worm and rid of internal parasites, emperor also was delivered with stringy poop. All of this is to say, at least for me, I’m moving on from LA Divers den....do love their customer service reps though.....

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back