Live blackworm shortage?

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the LFS around me here in San Diego can get live blackworms. They are telling me the suppliers can't produce them due to the heat waves we have been having. Anyone have some inside info on this?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I received an email last month when I inquired about availability:

633EC8E0-9645-40A3-BB6B-9F4D774387D3.png

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eastern Aquatics has them and they are a really good buy if you take a 1/2 lb and up. I gave up buying them at my LFS after a tiny portion started approaching the $10 mark. I spend $50 and am good for four to five months of feeding vs $9 per week over the same time period.

I just ordered from them yesterday so they definitely have worms in stock.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eastern Aquatics has them and they are a really good buy if you take a 1/2 lb and up. I gave up buying them at my LFS after a tiny portion started approaching the $10 mark. I spend $50 and am good for four to five months of feeding vs $9 per week over the same time period.

I just ordered from them yesterday so they definitely have worms in stock.
Do you keep them in a refrigerator?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the person you were asking, but, yes, I found they stay alive much much longer in cool temp. Not the freezer - just above the freezer section seemed to be a good location for me.
Thank you. I’ve tried to keep blackworms and they ended up getting slimy and smelly. I have white worms now and they seem to be doing better but not enough yet to feed the fish.

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did: Get some organic (brown; white can do in a pinch) paper towels and strip them in to inch wide ribbons like. Take a tupperware with widest bottom you have and fill it about inch or two with dechlorinated water or better, RO water. Throw the worms in, put some holes in the container lid, and put it in the back of your refrigerator in the coolest section, but not where water could freeze. pour out half the water once or twice a week and fill it back with fresh water. I fed them a couple of fish flake but I heard they will be okay for a few weeks with out food. I noticed their numbers stayed up when I fed them, suggesting they seem to multiply by splitting. I read that they feed the bacteria and microorganisms that grow on the organic paper. Good luck!

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quantities that my fish will eat just makes live blackworms (mail order) cost prohibitive for now.... will see how things go locally and heatwaves are done.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back