Live blackworms?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of local places that sell live blackworms?? I’m in St Clair county IL but I’m willing to travel!

I really don’t need the 1/8th lb that eastern Aquatics is offering; I only have 1 small fish.

Small fish is new and not really interested in what I have offered over the last 2 days and I would like to try live blackworms before it’s too late.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
California blackworms is sending out a limited amount of 1/8 lb live Blackworm shipments...I really don’t think I can use that much before they die. Does anyone know what 1/8 lb of worms looks like??

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not aware of anyone local with black worms but I ordered a white worm culture and they’re easy and low maintenance to grow so you don’t have to use them immediately.

Also can try masstick for picky eaters.

Another option would be some live brine which Seascape has sometimes.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Huff, I ended up ordering California blackworms and they will arrive Friday. I probably have a million worms coming...I will share if you’re interested! :)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
California blackworms is sending out a limited amount of 1/8 lb live Blackworm shipments...I really don’t think I can use that much before they die. Does anyone know what 1/8 lb of worms looks like??
I ended up doing exactly what you did but also purchased the little black worm holder to contain them all. Lets just say this was quite the weird experience to have thousands of worms in the fridge... I feel they are too difficult to keep unless you produce them. They will stay for a while ( my pack lasted over a month) and I ultimately had to get rid of them cause so many had dried up/ died attempting to escape the container. I also didnt have many fish so I had too much.

My fish sure did love them tho.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about you Be? I’m pretty positive I will have too many worms on my hands. Spread the word!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about you Be? I’m pretty positive I will have too many worms on my hands. Spread the word!
Thanks for the generosity however I actually live in Boston. Saw ur thread and figured I’d provide my experience. Good luck!

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you change the water once or twice a day (RO water) and keep them in the fridge, they can last a month, maybe longer.

Dont use too much water, just enough to cover them. They need holes in the top of the container.

I have 3 LFS in the Detroit area that carry them always, I dont know why so many people have trouble finding them locally?

I have found that fish tire of eating them only after about a week. They love them at first

Last edited:
OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 fish, a starry blenny, and he hasn’t taken to the offered foods so far so I hope this works!
I called a few local places and they don’t keep them. I wonder if a fish store would take some off my hands?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 fish, a starry blenny, and he hasn’t taken to the offered foods so far so I hope this works!
I called a few local places and they don’t keep them. I wonder if a fish store would take some off my hands?

If he's going to eat at all, blackworms should work

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh I hope so, I am totally in love with this fish already! He’s very small so I hope the worms aren’t too big for him.
7B6FAE87-E4F8-420C-B64B-81354838435D.jpeg

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you noticed any white stringy poop? Worms won't be too big

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I barely see him out in the open so I haven’t noticed any. He sits with his head poking out and stares at me in disapproval. I’ve seen him peck at the rocks a few times and knock over hermits.

He was in copper for 30 days at the lfs but I know that doesn’t work for everything. I did witness him eat pellets and frozen at the store on 2 different days and I bought the same food but of course it’s not acceptable at my house. White stringy poop is internal parasites right?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"White stringy poop is internal parasites right?"

Yes, or intestinal worms.

He may just be freaked out with the stress of a new tank etc.

I doubt your LFS kept him at therapeutic copper levels for 30 days. You should really quarantine all your fish before putting them in DT

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a QT at the moment, I’m still working on the display tank. I do have live rock in there with many hitchhikers and understand I will have to take them out if I need to medicate.

There are circles of algae missing from the power head when I got home today so he’s been pecking around! He also didn’t hide when I walked up to the tank. Will try frozen brine/spinrula tonight again before lights out and hope he hangs in there until the worms get here tomorrow.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Starry Blenny is a herbivore by default. If there is algae to eat, it will eat that. You can also try strips of dried seaweed on an algae clip. My lawnmower will not touch anything but algae. She likes the green kind that grows on the glass.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have seaweed sheets, going to put that on a pvc elbow again. He didn’t go for it last time I don’t think.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back