Live clams from seafood section...

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I got these as food for the cowfish, then they ended up just being livestock. Fish are friends not food. Idk much about clams, so I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on putting like 20 of these in the sump as natural filtration? Assuming they live for a while. It's not like I know what ocean they came from
8d4190cd516aba78d6d46d2352516727.jpg

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO, but I would suspect that as strictly filter-feeders, they would need a LOT of food for long-term survival. As for their origin, it depends on your location. The southern and mid-western US get theirs from the Gulf of Mexico. In my area, live clams from the grocer are freshwater; they come from the northern tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a Quahog, aka, hard shell clam. I wouldn’t recommend them for a low nutrient tank. They also will bury into the sand. But I have a few in my tanks, and they die from time to time. Not really a great tank mate.

OP
OP
Hiachi20

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for knowledge purposes. They were put into two different systems and did not survive long. They're great fish food though

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
D9A73F05-801E-4C25-AD94-D2DF7645A9E5.jpeg
Update for knowledge purposes. They were put into two different systems and did not survive long. They're great fish food though
Here’s a few pics. This Quahog has been in this tank for over 2 yrs and the other, a different clam type, has been in for 2 1/2 yrs. This tank has NO heat, skimmer, powerheads, doser, ATO, or any fancy salt, just bay water.
By the way, clams from the supermarket are at least a week old, as in a week out of the water old. Minimum!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back