Live Food Recommendations for Zebra Moray

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keko21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2022
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
4,079
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My zebra moray seems to be a hunter. I have offered frozen clam strips, krill, a carnivore mix and it just does not seem interested in eating anything I give it. It was more than happy to eat 3 of my cleaner shrimp... However, that's obviously not the economical solution. Can anyone give me some recommendations on live food and where to source from? Thanks!
 
Have you tried frozen shrimp, scallops, or other 'larger' meaty foods? I'd be concerned about introducing something unwanted by feeding live foods.
 
When I had one I fed raw shrimp (from frozen) every few days. Usually 3 or so at a time.
 
Yes long tongs is how the food has been offered. What kind of frozen shrimp do you feed? Just like table shrimp from the grocery store or do I need whole shrimp (head attached etc)
 
When I kept my zebra I made a feed stick out of 1/4" dowel rod with a short length of very heavy monofilament fishing line on the end. I would spear the food with the fishing line then wiggle it and the eel wouid grab it. I think not having it being held firmly and allowing it to wiggle like something alive helped.
Mine also would let me know when it was hungry by coming out and hunting. Rarely would it eat while in it's cave but as soon as I saw it out swimming I new it was time to feed.
 
Hi All,

My zebra moray seems to be a hunter. I have offered frozen clam strips, krill, a carnivore mix and it just does not seem interested in eating anything I give it. It was more than happy to eat 3 of my cleaner shrimp... However, that's obviously not the economical solution. Can anyone give me some recommendations on live food and where to source from? Thanks!
Have you tried table shrimp? Mine was the same way, hunting inverts until I tried table shrimp with her. She was in love. She now gets super excited for her frozen shrimps. I dont feed any of my 4 morays live
 
I used regular frozen shrimp from the grocery store (no heads).
Like exnisstech mentioned mine would also start looking around when it got hungry. You have to put the food close to them because their vision is not great.
 
I used regular frozen shrimp from the grocery store (no heads).
Like exnisstech mentioned mine would also start looking around when it got hungry. You have to put the food close to them because their vision is not great.
LOL isnt that the truth! I have to bonk her nose for her to find it. I swear her vision is like 5 times worse than my other 3 morays!
 
Try bunker. I got a skeletor that would not even anything and bunker is my last go-to food to offer. It’s so fatty that they instantly smell it and go to it
 
Ghost shrimp for live food but mine eats squid and octopus. It also eats nori off the clip and the frozen cubes if the fish don’t get there in time so might not be a good example
 
If you really need to try live stuff, check some Asian grocery stores that sell live prawns. I would still try to offer live prawns with tongs just to get it familiarized with being fed with tongs.
 
Hi All,

My zebra moray seems to be a hunter. I have offered frozen clam strips, krill, a carnivore mix and it just does not seem interested in eating anything I give it. It was more than happy to eat 3 of my cleaner shrimp... However, that's obviously not the economical solution. Can anyone give me some recommendations on live food and where to source from? Thanks!
I feed mine tesslotta clams and oysters he eats 5-8 every other day hes 4.5 feet. Just open them offer on tongs.
 

Attachments

  • 20250831_094810.jpg
    20250831_094810.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 19

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new