Live or Dry

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent amount of coral w/ some LR in my fluval evo 13.5. I’m fixing to set up my 40g breeder and can’t decide if I want to use LR in the 40g or dry. Will I be starting a cycle over if I’m using some live rock from the 13.5 along with using some live sand and using water from 13.5 and transferring it to the 40g if I use dry ?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the cycle I think you're talking about. The current livestock will be just fine with the rock you're transferring over. However the new dry rock will go through its own ugly phase. Dry or live is a personal choice. Both have their drawbacks.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Jekyl mentioned, it’s personal choice. I always have and always will go with live rock. You do run the risk of unwanted hitchhikers but for me that’s half the fun and reward of live rock. I also agree though the stuff you transfer over will be fine and any new dry stuff will go through it’s own phases

Edit to add: If done slowly, you shouldn’t experience a brand new cycle (like new tank cycle) but may experience small spikes in Nitrates and Phosphates stirring up sand and detritus

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Jekyl mentioned, it’s personal choice. I always have and always will go with live rock. You do run the risk of unwanted hitchhikers but for me that’s half the fun and reward of live rock. I also agree though the stuff you transfer over will be fine and any new dry stuff will go through it’s own phases
This

Back