Live Rock Aquascaping

Do you stack rocks against glass or weir?

• Total voters

Jayh86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats everyone’s general rules when aquascaping with live rock?...

I have tried to

1. build where is firmly placed as don’t want to permanently fix rocks
2. keep clearance all around for flow and to get in and clean
3. keep my removable weir tube free from anything so this can still be cleaned and or removed when necessary.

What’s the views on the way I have done it? I can’t decide, part of me wants to stack higher, part likes the large secure areas for corals and anemones to give clearance from each other. Also not sure if there is too much and maybe the smaller centre piece should come out? Ideas please. Any help appreciated.

DC75D2F6-99BE-42B2-B449-92C4381DFD53.jpeg

245FB0D1-3D8A-4DB2-81E7-84B674C30D2D.jpeg

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend breaking things up into two separate structures with one taller one and one lower one. There’s an aquascaping thread on here that could give you a lot of good ideas.

I like to epoxy/glue my rocks in place because I’ve had too many rock slides in the past. You can still clean under them by using a turkey baster.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

scaping is a really personal thing....

I like to create different levels in my tank so I can have different light demanding coral. I also like to make sure nothing is stacked in against a back wall....to allow for great circulation.

You said you don't like to permanently fix your rock. I would revisit that if I were you. I have had simple stack rock and the instability particularly when coral gets larger and fish move around is not a good thing. I have had rock that has collapsed and crushed other corals and fish... now I always epoxy the rock together... this doesn't mean you cannot break the bond and move stuff around... I have a 180 dt that I just redid the center of the scape... by breaking the epoxy bond... I wanted to rid myself of some nasty palys that I wanted out before they got too out of hand. Wasn't hard to do and I knew the other rock pilars and piles would remain stable... Nothing moved or shifted unless I wanted it to....

Something for you to think about.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing your tank progress!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back