Live Rock But Better

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, so I will be setting up a 600-liter tank and I will most probably be using ceramic-based artificial rock as that is the one available here. So, I want to add a lot of biodiversity to the tank and was thinking of cycling with some live rock/mature bio media. So, if I keep the live rocks and mature bio media in a dark bucket filled with salt water, a powerhead, and a piece of raw shrimp; will all the photosynthetic pests and also the other coral pests die off if I keep the rock there long enough? Basically, the idea is that first I will get the rocks and media and using a toothbrush and turkey baster, remove as much external gunk as possible. Then, dip it in some salt water with a salinity of 1.035-1.040 for one minute which should cause most of the pests to jump off while keeping the bacteria alive. Finally, I will add it to a bucket with fresh saltwater and a powerhead as well as a piece of shrimp (ammonia source) and then let it be for about 80 days. This should also kill any of the coral pests, right? And shouldn't any fish parasites/diseases die off by then? I plan on then using this rock in my sump to add more bacteria into the tank. Does this make sense? Is it worth the long wait? Please let me know. Also, there is a beach a few hours away, so if I get a bottle of wet sand from there and add it to my tank will it help? Just a random thought. But while bringing it, the temperature may reach up to 30 degrees C, will that be a problem? And while bringing the wet sand, if they do not open the bottle for around 12-14 hours, will he bacteria die? Please let me know about these. And if the effort is worth it or not. Thank you so much!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally get to that beach and try to collect stuff from under rocks if the beach has any. Put the rocks in your tank if you can.

Then you can do all that other stuff you mentioned if you want.
I have been collecting from beaches for 50 years, no problems yet.
Good Luck.

Oh, and whatever you collect at the beach will be fine in a bucket for a long while.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally get to that beach and try to collect stuff from under rocks if the beach has any. Put the rocks in your tank if you can.

Then you can do all that other stuff you mentioned if you want.
I have been collecting from beaches for 50 years, no problems yet.
Good Luck.

Oh, and whatever you collect at the beach will be fine in a bucket for a long while.
Okie thank you so much! Would you suggest getting the rocks from the beach or sand will work just fine? The sand here is very fine, so I would need to add it to the sump carefully. It is the longest uninterrupted beach in the world! So, if the sand is sealed in a bag or bucket moist or with a little water, it will be fine for around a day? Without anymore new airflow into the bag? Finally, does adding sand from other people's tanks increase the chances of adding pests and fish diseases into my tank? If so what can I do the prevent that, but be able to get all the good stuff.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our sand here in New York is also very fine so I can't use a lot of it. I just get a handful and sprinkle it in my tank or put it in a net and suspend it in the water for a few days, then remove it.

If you find some small rocks they would be great as they are covered in bacteria. If you can find a porous rock, that would be better and I collect them all the time here.

It will be fine in a bag for a couple of days. Of course if you take anything from someone's tank, whatever is in their water will be in yours also.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our sand here in New York is also very fine so I can't use a lot of it. I just get a handful and sprinkle it in my tank or put it in a net and suspend it in the water for a few days, then remove it.

If you find some small rocks they would be great as they are covered in bacteria. If you can find a porous rock, that would be better and I collect them all the time here.

It will be fine in a bag for a couple of days. Of course if you take anything from someone's tank, whatever is in their water will be in yours also.
Okie thank you so much!

Back