Live rock feeding

RedSeareefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I just got a great deal on some live rock and sand full of critters, the only problem is I won't be setting up a saltwater aquarium in the next few days and so the rock and sand will just sit in a 5 gal aquarium with heating and circulation, my question is what should I feed to keep all the critters in the rock and sand alive? I currently have old fish food and spirulina on hand, would that be a good substitute for the stuff they usually eat in a full set up aquarium? Also, how often should I feed the rock and sand, once a week? Once a day?

Thanks!

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going through this now with a small (8 lbs.) collection from TBS. I set up a 14 gallon Brute container and added a powerhead, heater and an old Fluval Marine 3.0 LED bar.

I matched the temperature and salinity of the target tank and tossed the rocks in. I also added two hermits and two peppermint shrimp. As there are a number of filter feeders and a blushing star coral on the rocks, I did add a small amount of live phyto and a few x small Tdo pellets. I plan to move the rock this weekend, but if I need to delay, I’ll do another small feeding over the weekend.
IMG_0788.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back