Live rock in cold water question..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m upgrading tanks and I need to make 400 gallons of water for the new tank… I’m gonna make as much as possible in the next few days in my garage where the water temp will be around 60 degrees I’d guess when it’s go time.. the tank is coming with the rock that’s currently in it.. if I add that cold water to the live rock when I get the tank here is that gonna cause die off on the rocks? I really don’t wanna buy a ton of heaters for a one time use lol.. trying to avoid any kind of cycle here lol.. my current tank is only 60gallon so it’s not gonna help.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heaters will probably cost less than the rock did by far.
Agreed!! If the cold water isn’t gonna hurt the rock in colder temps for a day or so then why bother? I’ll transfer all my live stock in a week or 2 once the new tank balances out..

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m upgrading tanks and I need to make 400 gallons of water for the new tank… I’m gonna make as much as possible in the next few days in my garage where the water temp will be around 60 degrees I’d guess when it’s go time.. the tank is coming with the rock that’s currently in it.. if I add that cold water to the live rock when I get the tank here is that gonna cause die off on the rocks? I really don’t wanna buy a ton of heaters for a one time use lol.. trying to avoid any kind of cycle here lol.. my current tank is only 60gallon so it’s not gonna help.

I was curing my rock in bins in my garage, and the last 2 weeks, temps hit the low 60s, only had powerheads for flow in these containers.

I am pretty sure it affected enough of the micro biome to reduce diversity to the point where I was very prone to dinos.

My rock was what I beleive to be just cured rock from an lfs, that it didn't start as live rock. Then it was in an aquarium for 5 years that was pretty clear of algae.

Maybe the previous owner chemically treated things causing die off prior to me using it, or maybe the low temps knocked too many things out. Not sure, but next time, I am heating it

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curing my rock in bins in my garage, and the last 2 weeks, temps hit the low 60s, only had powerheads for flow in these containers.

I am pretty sure it affected enough of the micro biome to reduce diversity to the point where I was very prone to dinos.

My rock was what I beleive to be just cured rock from an lfs, that it didn't start as live rock. Then it was in an aquarium for 5 years that was pretty clear of algae.

Maybe the previous owner chemically treated things causing die off prior to me using it, or maybe the low temps knocked too many things out. Not sure, but next time, I am heating it
Good to know! Thank you… this is what I’m trying to figure out… doing a search people cycle rock for cold water systems “it’s the same bacteria” so they say and the water runs at 50°… from what I read it cycles and does it thing it’s just way slower in a cold environment..I’m moving a tank and the rock will be out of the water for less than a hour and going back in but the new saltwater is gonna be cold like 60 over night till it warms up in my house while the tank is running.. I’m trying to avoid buying 8 heaters for a single day use lol.. if I have too I have too! Just figured id ask first and see if anyone such as yourself has real world experience with it. Thanks.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Thank you… this is what I’m trying to figure out… doing a search people cycle rock for cold water systems “it’s the same bacteria” so they say and the water runs at 50°… from what I read it cycles and does it thing it’s just way slower in a cold environment..I’m moving a tank and the rock will be out of the water for less than a hour and going back in but the new saltwater is gonna be cold like 60 over night till it warms up in my house while the tank is running.. I’m trying to avoid buying 8 heaters for a single day use lol.. if I have too I have too! Just figured id ask first and see if anyone such as yourself has real world experience with it. Thanks.
I am on the side where the temperature in the 60’s is fine. I’ve cured and held liverock in that temperature range with no issues. Now, if there are corals or something on that rock (other than bacteria preservation) it may be a different issue and heating might be required. Personally, I always have a spare heater and a quarantine heater, that I might put out there to give a small increase in temp, but I don’t think it matters.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the side where the temperature in the 60’s is fine. I’ve cured and held liverock in that temperature range with no issues. Now, if there are corals or something on that rock (other than bacteria preservation) it may be a different issue and heating might be required. Personally, I always have a spare heater and a quarantine heater, that I might put out there to give a small increase in temp, but I don’t think it matters.
No corals or live stock.. just moving the tank and putting new saltwater and the current rocks back in.. my other tank will be running for a couple weeks till the monster one levels out then I’ll move all my live stock over..

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had my tank hit the mid-60s for a few days during some nasty weather, and it didn't seem to do any long-term harm to anything. Some of the corals looked vaguely annoyed until it warmed back up.

Coldish water should be fine. Temperature shock might not be. I'd suggest trying to add the water slowly, if you can, just in case. Alternately, don't have the rock in heated water, so it'll already be in the 60s, and then you won't have to worry about temp shock.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back