Live rock in freshwater

StevenA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

First off, I’m new to the forum, but have been lurking for the past 2 years.

Anyway, I have started a new biocube build and got some live rock to try for the first time. I was stupid and thought I prepared saltwater a few nights prior. Nope.. 1 bucket was, the other wasn’t. I went to check parameters this morning (maybe 10-12 hours since I received them and put them in the bucket) and found my salinity to be around 1.015. I immediately did a massive water change, and got it back to 1.025-1.026. Ammonia was 0.50ppm and nitrate around 5.0ppm prior to the water change.

Soooo my question is, is this live rock a goner… or can I continue to cycle it in hopes the remaining bacteria colonize??? I don’t mind the bristleworm and asterina star die off I’ve been seeing.. I just want to know if that beneficial bacteria will be ok. This is premium live rock so it’s got a lot of stuff and vegetation on it as well. (I’ve already ordered 5 more lbs for this stupid mistake…..)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine. Marine nitrifying bacteria can tolerate quite a low salinity from my understanding. I'm sure some algae survived which will also help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back