Live rock or not?

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up and running about 10 months. I am wondering if it would still benefit to add some real live rock from the ocean, even a few pounds in the sump, for the bacterial diversity.

I currently dose MB7 and MBclean every week.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded. I’m a huge proponent of bacterial diversity.

I just added some Gulf Live Rock, and boyyyyyyyy the hitchhikers I got. Most good, but not all, so be warned.

Edit: To be less cryptic, I got all sorts of awesome critters (limpets, mussels, barnacles, sponges, corals) and macroalgaes (halimeda and Red Sea grapes), including the attached manicina coral. However, there were also some pretty mean Aiptasia (bigger than a quarter). Not the biggest deal, I just want to make the point that you’ll have to be careful and use good judgement.

IMG_8096.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded. I’m a huge proponent of bacterial diversity.

I just added some Gulf Live Rock, and boyyyyyyyy the hitchhikers I got. Most good, but not all, so be warned.

Edit: To be less cryptic, I got all sorts of awesome critters (limpets, mussels, barnacles, sponges, corals) and macroalgaes (halimeda and Red Sea grapes), including the attached manicina coral. However, there were also some pretty mean Aiptasia (bigger than a quarter). Not the biggest deal, I just want to make the point that you’ll have to be careful and use good judgement.

IMG_8096.jpeg
Do all of those critters thrive when placed in an aquarium?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from https://aquabiomics.com/product/live-reef-rubble 2x to add more bio-diversity to my tank.

But Tampa Bay saltworks is great to.

IMO your entire rock work doesn't need to be live rock but a mix would be beneficial. Or just add the live rock to your sump and pick out the critters as they come out.
Yeah that’s what I’d do at the very least…place it in the sump, so I can monitor for hitchhikers.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer a couple of your questions

1. I went with Tampa Bay Saltwater and I was pleased with their product and service.
2. I chose to run mine in a brute container with a heater and a power head for about 10 days. During that time I set traps and observed rock. This allowed me to remove a Mantis shrimp and other undesirable flora/fauna.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what they claim. I Quarentined the rock I got from them and it clearly had Aiptaisa on it.
That is very odd. I have placed 4 orders with them....one order each year for the past 4 years...never had aiptasia

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back