Live rock question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maho.B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Maho.B

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2024
Messages
398
Reaction score
214
Location
Minnetonka, MN.
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all. A little while back my RS seam failed and lost the system. My new aquarium has arrived! I am going to start with all live rock and looking for an opinion. I realize the "cons" of live rock potentially having bad hitchhikers. I'm thinking of ways to maybe avoid some (like bad crabs/shrimp, etc) and wonder if this method would achieve anything?

I could set up a temp trough/basin for the live rock with the right water, temp, light, circ pump, etc and place egg crate on the bottom, elevated 6 inches or so leaving a void space on the bottom, place the rock on top. The thinking is if any hitchhikers come out, explore and go to through the egg crate, end up on the bottom they would not be able to climb the plastic basin sides back to the rock.

Does this make sense or is it stupid and fall into the "over thinking it" category.

I do think the "pros" outway the "cons" with liverock, just trying to think of a simple method to hedge against potential bad hitchhikers.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions in advance.
 
Interesting idea. Though shrimp can swim and crabs can flutter up for short bursts.

Not sure how effective it would end up being.
 
Interesting idea. Though shrimp can swim and crabs can flutter up for short bursts.

Not sure how effective it would end up being.
Good point. Maybe a bunch of PVC tubes on the bottom, they may like the hiding spots down there. Thanks
 
Interesting. I wonder if that would harm the beneficial bacteria/organisms on and in the rock. I'll look into that more. Thanks!
 
Just get a mantis trap. It will catch crabs, whelks, mantis shrimp and other snails.
20260408_085052.jpg
 
Interesting. I wonder if that would harm the beneficial bacteria/organisms on and in the rock. I'll look into that more. Thanks!
No it wont harm them but it wont get them all, lol.
 
Smart thinking! I don’t think gorilla crabs or the mantis shrimps that come on live rock from TBS or the gulf are that big of a deal. I just removed when I first got the rock and removed the remaining one by one when I would spot them in the tank. I had a mantis and multiple gorilla crabs and I never had an issue with losing fish. The mantis I caught was only 1” long and they max out at 2-3”.
 
That's good news! I'm likely going to use a combo of TBS and Australian.
 
Best bet is to do 2 or 3 high salinity dips to get them out of the rocks
I was going to say the same. I have read that if you place the rocks in high salinity (1.035) for a few, the critters will leave the rock trying to escape the high salinity. Then remove the rocks, and only keep the critters you want!
 
Smart thinking! I don’t think gorilla crabs or the mantis shrimps that come on live rock from TBS or the gulf are that big of a deal. I just removed when I first got the rock and removed the remaining one by one when I would spot them in the tank. I had a mantis and multiple gorilla crabs and I never had an issue with losing fish. The mantis I caught was only 1” long and they max out at 2-3”.
Carefull with mantis. In my 150 it killed all crabs, shrimp, then started on snails, lol. I removed it but still have one in my 50 its 3" and I add snails to keep it fed. I have had it for 2 years in this system with 4 fish.
20260428_181649.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new