Live Rock Question....

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even sure this falls under water chemistry or not, but I just figured I'd post it here.....I understand the point of live rock and the tank, but my question is how do some of these great tanks run with very little live rock?? I know some have it in there sump, but some do not! Do they use stuff like seachem matrix?? Bioballs? Or is that old rule of 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon an old myth now a days?? I am redoing my tank this weekend and just wanted thoughts/opinions on how much live rock is really needed and what are some other options?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three different functions of live rock, and those may be able to be replaced by other methods:

1. To facilitate the aerobic conversion of ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.
2. To facilitate the anaerobic conversion of nitrate into N2 and/or organic tissue of bacteria.
3. To provide a framework to support corals and such in a natural looking environment.

Number 3 is just a matter of choice.

Number 2 can be replaced or supplemented by many different methods of nitrate reduction, such as organic carbon addition, growing macroalgae, denitrators, etc.

Number 1 can be replaced by bioballs and various media, sand substrates, growing macroalgae (which can consume ammonia directly) and more. But I consider live rock still the default method for this.

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay got it... I was just curious to how these other tanks with very little live rock.... What about People using matrix by seachem?? Does it work as live rock or is it something that doesn't really work

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha well if you haven't seen data than not many probably have so I'll wait until it's more proven

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back