Live Rock Question

wam67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in Atlanta today and went to Marine Fish Warehouse. Neat place lots of fish, coral and live rock great prices (picked up a beautiful purple tang $60). My question is about live rock they sell some ($6.99 lb) aquacultured live rock that looks fantastic. It is covered in coraline algae plus some really nice looking gren algae and small plants. My question is is that good to put in my tank? The guy that runs the place said it was cured and could go right in the tank. I started to pick up a couple of rocks but wasnt sure so i thought I would ask you guys. Thanks Bill

Silveradositn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it should be fine as long as there is not a dead smell to it that is flordia aquacultured rock.it is the same rock as bremuda triangle sells if im not mistaken.there only two thing ive found wrong with the rock is it is veery dense and mantis shrimp always hitch hike on it.but other that that as long as there is no smell u should be fine

Striike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence. So if this is obvious, please disregard.

You made the comment about placing this into your DT. Would a quarantine procedure be in order for live rock, even if its cured? I would be scared to introduce something into my tank, especially if its established.

Wam67, not sure where you are at in your tank, I'm assuming you're set up since you bought a tang. But I wouldn't take anyone's word on "Its okay to just put in your tank." Its kind of like being bent over an examining table and the doctor saying "This won't hurt a bit.":wink: I don't care how many times I've been to that doctor, you better believe I've got him on a short leash at that point. My point? Even if this is a reputable company, I would take caution with that rock. It may not have any hitch hikers, but I'd make sure its cured before putting it in. That's where my question at the beginning of this post comes from.

OP
OP
W

wam67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers /more questions

I have a couple of questions. I have always had small tanks so this 90 is a new venture for me. When you use a quarantine tank how long do hyou keep rock or fish in it before moving them? Also what size tank do you use? Do you need filtration? Do you put an air bubbler in the tank? On the live rock topic does the algae and marine plants spread? Thanks

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always bleach new rock now, but I have a 320 with a lot of live rock in it so it doesnt matter to me to kill it then put it in the tank. But if you are wanting to keep it alive why not just dip in iodine and then soak in tank water with interceptor at a high dosage to kill mantis shrimp and flatworm exit to kill flatworms. There would be a lot of raised eyebrows if you saw what I have found in live rock while bleaching.

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really a tough question when you dig deep. Quarantines are really not used these days in the hobby by very many people. The trouble it takes to quarantine is most of the time more stressful and more trouble then taking the chance of adding a fish or coral to a display. With liverock you always risk getting unwanted critters and pests. on the other hand you are getting alot of diversity witht he living organisms. Flip a coin on whether to kill everything and grow your own organisms, or take a chance with the stuff already on it. I usually kill all new rock added to my tank. The stuff that grows on the aquacultured rock usually dies or gets eaten quickly anyway. and the aqua cultured rock it pretty much usless after that as it is to dense to be a good host for bacteria. If you have a system that can be easily torn down and cleaned, or pests can be caught easily you can be more agressive with chances, with some of us our tanks are worth more than our cars and we cant be so agressive with chances! LOL!

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were setting up a new tank I would buy cured rock to get the cycle and add some bio diversity. with a new tank you can also have more freedom to remove nuisances. If you have a established tank and are only adding for astetics then kill the rock first

Striike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironman, could you be more specific with the term 'bleaching?' I haven't run across this one, do you actually put the rock in bleach? Would this be a better method than boiling your rock, or 'cooking' it? How do you ensure you get it all out as to not poison the rest of the tank?

Silveradositn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes u can soak it ion bleach for a day or two then let it set out in the sun and dry and the rock will turn solid white the bleach will evaprate out of the rock so no worrys there

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never bleached rock so I wont comment, Im sure it is perfectly safe, but just knowing the danger of bleach coming into contact with my tank is enough to not try it. But again that doesnt mean it isnt perfectly safe, I just choose to not do it. I soak my rock in tap water for 24 hours, then let it sit and dry for days to weeks. I think the bleach might give you a more phosphate and cycle free product though. I just dont usually add much extra rock at any given time so i dont worry about it. I know Bamachamp has done the bleaching thing alot with his rock and dont think he had any negative affects, other than white rock! LOL!

Striike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, guys, thank for the information here. Bleaching sounds worlds faster and more efficient than 'cooking' live rock. I read the how to on that, and thinking the whole time: "I need how many containers?"

newtothisfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bleached rock but know of peple who do,
Wondering would that be a quick fix for green algae???

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back