Live rock question !!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My polyps that came on a live rock got completely covered with algae I was jw can I take the rock out let the algae die and put it back in? Also I see some amphipods coming out as it dries

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My polyps that came on a live rock got completely covered with algae I was jw can I take the rock out let the algae die and put it back in? Also I see some amphipods coming out as it dries.

The algae is usually a challenge in the beginning but so long as you are focused on nitrate and phosphate removal, keeping those in range, the tank will self correct.

What you don't want to do is go backwards. Taking the rock out of the water and letting it marinade in the sink or something is a bad idea. If you do that you'd be better off starting over.

So best option is to use a turkey baster and blast the nonsense off the rock as best you can. You can also use a toothbrush if you need to be more surgical about it.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is usually a challenge in the beginning but so long as you are focused on nitrate and phosphate removal, keeping those in range, the tank will self correct.

What you don't want to do is go backwards. Taking the rock out of the water and letting it marinade in the sink or something is a bad idea. If you do that you'd be better off starting over.

So best option is to use a turkey baster and blast the nonsense off the rock as best you can. You can also use a toothbrush if you need to be more surgical about it.
Thanks sadly I’ve tried turkey blaster the algae is so thick it’s covering my polyps so what I did was destroyed the rock and took the polyps off by hand maybe they’ll have a better shot now idk

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks sadly I’ve tried turkey blaster the algae is so thick it’s covering my polyps so what I did was destroyed the rock and took the polyps off by hand maybe they’ll have a better shot now idk
It's certainly hard to get things going at first so have to expect some losses. Just focus on the nutrient export and getting the water in range, if you do that you'll have better luck with the next round of livestock you add.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back