Live rock replacement

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So I have a really bad vermin snail, aptasia, and gsp problem.

To fix all these issues with one blow, I planned to remove my current rocks (have been in my tank over a year) and replace them with new live rock I’ve had. This is not just to get rid of the problems I have but also to change the aqua scape of my tank as the rocks I have now are huge boulders, and I want to replace with flat and wide pieces.
I’ve been told if I do this all at once I’ll likely start a new cycle, which I do not want. However if I slowly replace rocks.. obviously these problems, specially the vermin snails, are just going to transfer to my new rocks.
Any ideas how I can do this without that happening? also how much rock do you think I can remove and replace at once?

also will the vermin snails, and aptasia die off the rocks, once I remove and if they are left out of water for months?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obviously these problems, specially the vermin snails, are just going to transfer to my new rocks.
Any ideas how I can do this without that happening?
If the new rock is in the same tank as the old, the problems will transfer.
Its my ipinion that if you use anything from your old setup without killing everything, it will contaminate the new. Which is a problem if you have coral.
If you do kill everything on every surface you will need to cycle the tank.
I would also replace the sand instead of trying to sterlize it.
My experience: Aiptasia are every hard to kill.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to replace the rock, I would remove all rock and sand and then cycle the aquarium for a few days with bleach or vinegar. 24hours should be enough. That should kill everything. then you have to drain and air the tank out for a few days. Then you can start fresh.

I'm in the middle of this activity right now and will post on my build thread. When I do that I will have all my reactors and everything on line so the solution goes through everything. Right now, Im ready to make the switch but will have to plan it. I have my rock in a bin that has been soaking for a while with live bacteria. Started with dry rock. Sculptured it the way I wanted and seeded in tub with live bacteria.

Once I go through the process above. I will move the rock to aquarium with new live sand and then put fish in the tub where the rock was. Hopefully I can put the fish in pretty quick. Will see how it goes.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys successful in doing this? I am thinking of the same.. I have a massive aptasia and GSP problem for years now. I cant keep up anymore. I think removing all the rock and then running new rock will solve the problem.. I can even remove all the sand as well and put new sand. As long as aptasia can't live in the water column... or do I need to sterilize the whole tank? THat will suck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.7%
Back