Live rock seeding

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know somewhere in this forum it is discussed already but I couldn't find it.
What is the best way to seed a tank. I did a tank transfer recently and have half my 300 as live rock (2yr old) and half dry rock, its been running for about 4 months. I want to increase bio diversity and will be adding in a few rocks from friends and shops in the area as I had a large SPS die off in the process even though all parameters were matched. What would be the best way to ensure the different bacteria spreads? I see the following as my options.

1. Put the new rocks in the return chamber.
2. Add rocks directly to frag tank and main display (fairly large rocks).
3. Break rocks up into rubble and spread everywhere.
4. Place in refugium. (40 gallon)

This rock would be taken out after 3-6 months and is only being used to create more diversity. What do you think would be most beneficial or spread the best?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add to display and leave them
+1 . Actually as long as the rocks are in the same water as the DT, it should mature fine. But bear in my mine it takes time for the dry rock to be colonised by the beneficial bacteria, other microbes and critters.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back