OP
L

Lbannie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is your rock and your decision of course, but I wanted to let you know that both of these things will probably end up in your tank at some point no matter what rock you use. If you don’t like the rock, don’t let this sway your decision though.
Yea, I think I’m just trying to justify to myself buying New rocks lol. I don’t want to do anything with this tank and regret it later!
Now I’m debating on paying more money for the purple rocks. Is it worth it?

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I think I’m just trying to justify to myself buying New rocks lol. I don’t want to do anything with this tank and regret it later!
Now I’m debating on paying more money for the purple rocks. Is it worth it?
I think it depends on the rock. What rock are you specifically looking at that’s purple? There is a place where you can get Caribsea life rock for $2 per pound, so that’s pretty cheap. I can send the link if you want.

OP
OP
L

Lbannie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

Lbannie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nicely porous.
Do you think paying the extra money for the purple is worth it? He also has nice pieces with flat bottoms for the base.
I never thought I’d spend so much time dwelling on rocks!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once took 120 lbs of real rock from all over the world under my porch in a black plastic bag it was covered in GHA aptaisa and every nasty thing ever, long story short I went back to get the rocks 5 years later, did a muriatic acid wash and rinsed em used em , and still have them today. No man made rock can touch the porousness of real LR , so in effect its just to mount on , its not the filter that people think it would be,like real LR, BRS did a study on that , I would use the real rock and clean it if it were me. some people use non scented bleach , some use muriatic acid.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think paying the extra money for the purple is worth it? He also has nice pieces with flat bottoms for the base.
I never thought I’d spend so much time dwelling on rocks!

The flat base cut feature is cool. The purple looks good, but that is really a temporary aesthetic question.

I am an old school guy, with an acropora addiction problem. So for me, dead rock is only about saving some cash that I put toward my budget for porous, truly alive rock that has been living in someone's sump for a few years. If I can be given assurance that this is the case, I pay a pretty penny for that.

I think you are wise to dwell on rock selection and research this purchase intensively.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd use it. Throw in some bottled bacteria too. Excellent opportunity to seed with pods as well.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back